VIVEK IYER & GUY P

clinton_abe

You guys thought that a DSLR's LCD screen could only be used

for 'REVIEWING' a shot after it was taken and not be used like the

screen found on a EFV digital camera. Well, not anymore. Check out

the upcoming Olympus E-330. New technology allows the shooter to use

the screen just like you would on a EFV.

I guess I'm just ahead of my time.

Two things, however. The first is that the ESO 20Da allows for live preview execpt for only about 5-10% of the CCD. The second thing is that the E-330 doesn't use its main CCD for the previewing. It uses a secondary CCD in the optical path to the viewfinder. They have all of the photos and diagrams explaining it at dpreview. The thing, personally, that looks nice is that the LCD can swivel and tilt all over the place, which I can see being a big convinence for me sometimes.

Well...

I'm a big Olympus fan, but that's not the kind of technology I was looking forward to-- My 20D's LCD screen is unusable outside anyway for framing or otherwise. I'd rather have a big solid prism to look through (the 20D is barely adequate) than a porro-prism, 4 mirrors.. and digi-cam like framing...

What I'm still waiting Olympus to come out with is a pro-class, E1 successor, to team with their f/2 zooms.

I figured it was just a matter of time before some method for previewing with a true dSLR became possible. I envisioned a transparent sensor in line with the focus screen that could transmit the image to the rear LCD.

The problem is, does anyone really want to hold a D2X and 200-400 VR Nikkor at arms length during the next musical recital at their kid's school?

<i>"does anyone really want to hold a D2X and 200-400 VR Nikkor at arms length during the next musical recital at their kid's school?"</i><br><br>

I'm <u>confident</u> that someone WILL. And this person will also shoot the thing at ISO 100 and then wonder why his camera is front focussing.

The live LCD is very conducive to poor photography, as you are holding the camera out and

away from your body, and not close to the center of gravity. I can't stand 'em. I'm sure

every P&Ser who stepped up to DSLRs is thrilled, though.

You can (and some DO) put spinny rotors on your automobile's wheels as well. That doesn't

make it RIGHT, though.