UK Strobe / Flash Repair, esp. White Lightning

clarence_l

Hello,

I recently spotted some used White Lightning heads up for sale and I

was considering purchasing them. However, I live in London and I was

wondering if anyone in the UK is able to repair these units should

something happen to them (and they are probably at least 10 years old

so I would expect some problems, eventually).

I'm only just starting with studio photography, so any advice would be

useful. Any offers of used studio equipment would also be welcome.

Thank you.

With My Regards,

Clarence

Thanks for the advice, Ben. Unfortunately I can't afford any new strobes at the moment. Also, I'm wondering if anyone in the UK could repair the Alien Bees or White Lightning strobes should anything happen to them.

After looking around for quite abit, I'm considering that waiting for a used Bowens or Prolinca monobloc kit may be the best option for me, in terms of cost-effectiveness (and also especially if no one on this side of the pond can repair Paul C. Buff strobes easily). Elinchrom is of course, way out of my budget; Courtenay has closed down; and I've heard pretty awful stuff about Interfit.

Do let me know your thoughts. Cheers.

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...

theres a guy called ben laurence, off greys inn road north of the post office on mount

pleasant. i could give you pretty decent directions if you email me directly on dr-

photo@hotmail.com(haveb an a-z handly, afeap or afaep might have a number for him see

them on the net. hes reliable and pretty clued up. he used to repair some antique bowens for

me regularly, he knows his electronics, and might be able to help you source some cheap

flash too. When i left london i sold my bowens on ebay , three heads, spill kills brollies,

beauty dishes etc for a couple of hundred quid, look there for cheap gear/studio clearouts.

dont pay with western union /cash transfers though, your almost bound to get ripped off.