Identifying Linhof Techinka 5x7

svein_erik1

I have very little experiance with 5x7 cameras, but have been looking to purchase one for

some time. I came across one from a local fella, but neither him nor me are quite sure what

models it is. I have seen photos of Techinka III 5x7 but this looks "simpler" in design.

Anybody know what the exact model is?

http://www.sundsteigen.com/temp/_DSC0987.jpg

http://www.sundsteigen.com/temp/_DSC0981.jpg

Thanks!

svein eric,

i believe this is either a socalled transition model between III and IV, because III's had black

leather and IV's tan, or it is a IV. now the linhof book does not show any information on a

IV model 5x7, but as i said the tan leather covering at least indicates this. the later V

model had a different lens standard construction.

Thanks everyone for good feedback.. the serial nr i 25560. Located in Norway...unfortunatly.

I have an offer to sell it to me with a 4x5 reduction back and the Symmar 240/5.6 for about

$900. Is that a decent price if everything is in working order?

Ps! I can believe I was able to spell Technika wrong twice in my original post :)

I would like to know how one can tell this is a III? To me it is a IV....but all I have ever seen on the IV versus III is tan leatherette and red vertical stripes on the front standard. Also the back hood cover looks different. Of course I am talking about the 5x7 models only.

J.Mose first/ Svein

It looks to me like an in-between model (rare too). It has the brownish covering of the IV but

the lens board has a pin opening in the bottom (look at the photo). The III lens boards have a

groove cut in the bottom middle, and from th IV on two grooves one on either side of the

lens board bottom.

I like this camera because of the lack of a rangefinder, which no one uses anyway. I makes

the camera lighter. One thing ... the lensboards will be difficult to find!

very clean looking!.

I can't speak as to whether it is a transitional model or not, but it does have the Tech III front standard and lensboard. As Rafael says, these can be difficult to find, but do come up on ebay occassionally.

Fortunately, the Tech III lensboard is large enough to be adapted to take the later Technica lensboards.

Steve,

The 5x7 "IV" has a "III" front end. That is what confuses a lot of people when the read the Steve Gandy site, etc. Only the 4x5 model had major changes from model to model. The 5x7 made a leap when the V was introduced in the Fall of 1963. It remained unchanged until it's discontinuance in the mid 1980's. The 5x7 Super Technika IV uses the same rangefinder cams as a 5x7 Super Technika III.

Regards,

J. P. Mose