40th Aniversary Bronica ETRSi

darcy_lorimer

Can anyone enlighten me as to the production history of the 40th

Aniversary Bronica ETRSi? Tamron says they were produced in 1988, but

they have an AE-III finder which supposedly was not introduced until

October 1994, according to the ETR Guide on the Tamron website.

Were these produced for only one year, or more? Was there more than

one version produced? A guy selling these on EBay says they were only

introduced in Japan, but there appears to be a number for sale in the

US as well. Are there any known problems with these cameras?

Before the AEIII you had the AEII wich was a led based Prism instead of a LCD based. That's why you had the ETRSi before the intro of the AEIII.

These camera's (i use one myself) are no different in problems as any other MF camera. If used extensively they will have the same wear as any other device. The quality of Bronica is Superb.

D'Arcy,

From your post it sounds like the e-bay seller is looking to justify more money for this camera by claiming it to be a special edition.

The ETRSi is a great camera but don't pay more than the going rate for this one. Japanese camera makers produce loads of special edition cameras for the Japanese market because the Japanese love them but really they are no different from any other.

I only can surmise what the 40th Anniversary edition actually looks like from photos on the KEH website.

It is a champange color (not exactly "chrome") with light colored leather covering. The description (and the photos) show an AE-III finder, not an AE-II, the obvious difference being the LCD lighting window at the front of the finder. The lens is also a matching color with the body, as is the speed grip and 120 back.

The documentation on the Tamron website (etr_guide.asp) does not even mention this model, which is why I have posted an inquiry here. The production date I got was from a tech support rep at Tamron, which conflicts with the production data for the AE-III finder in the etr_guide.asp document (which states a 1994 introduction for the AE-III finder). I guess its possible that a special edition with the AE-III finder was introduced 6 years in advance of the general introduction, but its not likely.

Simon:

The price he's asking is not out of line, particularly if it's really new, in an un-opened state, packaged in a metal carrying case. I think he wants nearly $1000 for the kit (which was the body, AE-III finder, 75mm f2.8, speed grip, and 120 back, all in that matching "champange" color). KEH wants $960 for a used version of the same kit, in exc condition (but not new), without the case.

The problem is one of buying and shipping the item to the US from Japan, paying duty, taxes and shipping, and the problem of warranty.

Interesting enough, Tamron says they will honor any new camera warranty if the camera is truly new, even though it could have been produced in 1988! A camera produced and sold in Japan would be warrantied for 1 year, as opposed to three years for a US imported product.

After further contact with David Silverman, the guy selling the 40th Aniversary Edition ETRSi on EBay, I found out what he's selling is not new, but is used. Comes with no warranty documentation, and is not in the original packaging. He claims its in "new" condition, but that's not "new" to me.

The camera outfit I am selling on ebay has never been used and is perfect in everyway. That makes it a NEW CONDITION CAMERA. The original box for this camera was a plain brown cardboard shipping box. That is the way these cameras were sold and shipped directly to customers in Japan when they were ordered. This box is not included. They came packed in Aluminum foam padded form fitted flight type cases. (Included with this camera) Anyone interested in this model please read the description carefully for full details........high definition photos are available on request. This is the way I have been selling on ebay for the last 5 years. My feeeback record SPEAKS FOR ITSELF.......I stand behind everything I sell....I had 3 of these this month.......this is the last one I have for sale in new condition....I got this one in trade from one of my regular customers who purchasded some other photo equipment from me. Bid and buy with confidence from me always.

thanks,

David silverman Tokyo, Japan

PS: This is my first entry on photo net. I hope this kind of information is allowed to be posted.....sorry if I did not read all the rules before posting this information.