Cleaning a 1960s Summicron

melaniec

Is it humanly possible to clean this lens yourself? I know the coating is very soft, but I can't

wrap my brain around the idea that it has to be sent somewhere to be cleaned. Given the

right supplies, can't it be done at home? Or are these "right supplies" so specialized that it

isn't practical? Please advise.

Thanks, Melanie

The coating of today's lenses is much tougher than the coating used on these older lenses. I have no experience with cleaning a 1960 Summicron, but I remember I once screwed up cleaning a 1970 Nikon lens. I had rubbed off the thin layer of coating and the lens had to be sent out for repair (re-coating). Melanie, I wouldn't take the risk and have it done at an official Leica outlet or specialized photo repair shop. If there no bad artifacts showing up in your photographs I wouldn't even bother cleaning it. Really, if it affects quality have it cleaned. If not, why not screwing a UV filter over the lens to protect it?

Sure it is. Get a suitable UV or Skylight filter ready, then clean the lens front element once and put the filter on. Never take it off again. To clean it get a special microfibre cloth and a little bottle of camera lens cleaning solution from your local camera store. Use a fine brush (sable is good) to flick off any hard dust and grit then use the solution and cloth. Do it gradually applying very little pressure until it is crystal clear again. You will probably notice that there are some fine dust particles inside the lens but don't worry about them. Never rub hard at any stubborn marks as this is where you will damage the coating.

If Leica filters are too expensive for you (and for me) try B&W or Heliopan brands which are also v high quality.

There are different opinions on wheather or not to use cleaning liquieds microfibre cloths etc. I personally would never use any of it. Some of these liquids are cheap and damage the coating of the lens. I really suggest to have it done by a professional if at all.

Sorry, but that's not a good idea. Leave it to the experts. You need the proper tools and an optical bench to makes sure the focus is dead on.

Leica in New Jersey cleaned several of my lenses for a very reasonable amount of money.

feli

Melanie, if I recall correctly, you're indeed talking about cleaning some dust in the outer side of front element, right? By what I read here I think many people understood you were talking about taking it apart yorself and cleaning the innards.

If it's the former, I'm sure many people here will give you good advice, it's not difficult as long as you're gentle with it. And if in doubt, try to locate a classic camera store and sure people there will be glad to help you. It's a minute operation and in my experience, they quite like to chat and help other classic camera lovers.

Oscar

As most have said, send it to the experienced. If you must ... I clean my lens using the tools I use to clean the CCD of a digital camera, PecPad and Eclipse optical cleaner.

Blow of any dust with a blub blower, use a new piece of PecPad, fold it and put two drops of Eclipse and the lens in a circular motion, inward to outward. Applying no more pressure than what already apply by the PecPad on the lens. Two of three pass should do it, changing a new untouched corner for every pass. Use a new PecPad if needs to.

You can use microfiber if

1. It is clean

2. You stored it in a clean container & wash occasionally. There are special detergents/soaps for my car microfibers. Use one designeded for lenses, not cars though.

3. Blow the dust of with a proper blower, then a very soft clean

brush reserverd for this purpose and kept clean in a box. Keep your fingers off the hairs. No canned air!

4. Be very gentle and do not apply pressure with the cloth.

5. Never apply cleaning liquids to the glass. Put them on the cloth

6. Start with water. Use a cleaner only if you must.

7. Stay out of the inside for more reason than I care to list.

8. Use a 39mm multicoated UV filter. It is like having a user replaceable front element. Treat this the same as a lens. Take off when light sources are in the picture.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am talking about cleaning the front element only. One of my dogs

shook off a bit close to the camera and now there are teeny spots of salt water on the glass.

I work in a lab and have access to all the KimWipes and ethanol I want. Will those work? If I

need to send it out I will, but it seems like there must be SOME way to do it myself and not

kill it.

Thanks, Melanie

Hi Melanie,

<p>

You want to get that SALT water off ASAP! Following the instructions above simply to be really gentle, you can do it yourself and do it right away. The salt will cut through that coating very quickly. Next, as also suggested, by a decent filter. B&W are excellent. Then you can scrub them and, when needed, replace 'em.

<p>

Cheers, Owen

Melanie, ah, that's what you mean ! Sure you can clean it. I don't know if anyone mentioned it but after using a soft brush to get any sharp little specks off, when gently wiping with whatever the cloth is dampenned with, wipe around and away from the centre, rather than from the edge inwardb because any sharp dust lodged at the margine will be dragged across the glass. I like plenty of huff and a nice old, clean cotton hanky.

Not quite the same thing but a lady who cleans/restores paintings at the National Gallery, London, said saliva's hard to beat. It's neutral acidity and has cleaning enzimes. So our mums had it right all along, with a hanky and a bit of spit.

Please get that salt residue off now! I would get professional advice on that, but I am guessing lens cleaning fluid applied to tissue would be a good place to start. Once you are sure the salt is off, you can clean residue left by the cleaning fluid with a clean microfiber cloth.

You don't need a professional to clean the front elements of lenses. Just the insides for any haze, debris from previous owners who took the lens apart, fungus, paint that has leeched into the elements from the barrel, etc.

Anyway, keep any cameras and lenses you really like away from salt water. Wipe any salt water residue off your camera as well. Let us know how it turns out.