Canon 5D or 1DM IIN

gene_kublanov

I'm not a professional photographer so I don't necessarily need a rugged camera. Photography is more of a hobby for me right now however I may try it as a career at some point. I like the fact that both cameras have a 2 1/2" screen. I don't need the FPS speed offered by the 1DMIIN. I like the fact that the the 5D is 12MP however full fram vs 1.3 factor is not a big deal

I personally think this is an interesting question since they cost about the same. I have a D30 and was thinking about upgrading to the MII until the 5D came out. My guess is the MII is a better machine for capturing an image, but under ideal conditions the 5D might create a better final image. Or put another way I suspect a 5D with tripod could produce a better final image of a static subject but under most other conditions I think the MII would produce a better final image.

The nice thing about the 5D is it's smaller.

Or in auto terms a MB is better if you are sitting in trafic. A 911 is better if you are moving.

If you shoot sports primarily then the 1D M2n is generally and obviously the better camera. Otherwise it is the 5D.

Why? Full frame! (your wide angles are wide again). 12MP sensor.

It's smaller and lighter than the 1D.<p>

I shoot sports a lot, but I would still go with the 5D since I am not on the NFL or NBA sidelines making a living at this and I want my wide angles back.

There is very little reason to get a 1DMkII right now unless you really need the AF tracking advantage, need the 8fps, or need to shoot out of a kayak, in a war zone, or in a cave where the camera is going to get seriously banged up and wet.

The 1DMkII is on borrowed time, it is only a matter of time before Canon replaces it with something with a FF sensor like the 5D. (My prediction is we are going to see Canon go to a single 1D camera in the next year that has a FF sensor, lots of megapixels, and 8fps.)

Right now any shot the 5D can get should print better then the 1DMkII.

Ok..... "There is very little reason to get a 1DMkII right now unless you really need the AF tracking advantage, need the 8fps, or need to shoot out of a kayak, in a war zone, or in a cave where the camera is going to get seriously banged up and wet.......any shot the 5D can get should print better then the 1DMkII."

But if you dont get it you cant print it! :-)

In general I am just saying many many people seem to think they need those features in the 1D cameras and they don't.

There was already a Newsweek photo essay posted from Afghanistan taken with the 5D... the photographer was on Rob Galbraith's website saying it held up fine being embedded with the troops for a month.

You don't need the weather sealing & incredibly rugged body to get all that many shots. The AF & 8fps is the same thing. The 5D AF is already very very good.

If you've got the extra money and think those features are incredibly key to your very specialized field then go for it... but for amateurs who are scared to shoot in the rain with a 10D/20D/5D and think you need 8FPS & 40 AF points to shoot a racecar or other sports you're kidding yourself.

And anyway if you don't need those features today why not wait for the replacement which should trump the 5D in every way.

I actually like the 1.3 crop (really 1.25). It takes the best part of the lens. I don't have to worry about soft corners so much. And with a 16-35mm, I can get 20mm on the wide end. Plenty wide enough for me.

I went from a Elan IIe to a 1n to a 10D to a 1DMKII. The 1 series are simply more robust and solid than 10D/20D/5D... not that there is anything wrong with the latter 3. If you have the money splurge and get a 1 series. If you don't want the weight... get the 5D. They are all capbable of taking great pictures. But I am not trading in my 1DMKII non-N for a 5D. Not now at least.

aaron

I too had or have this question. I had a 20D, sold it, got a 5D, sold it- felt that $3200 as a bit

much for this camera, bought another 20D. I thought about a Mk2N, but then I heard Canon

may be coming out with something new in Feb '06?!

So i may just keep waiting. The biggest thing i found is that up to 16x20 the 20D is fine

(love the accurate focus of the IIN, though).

btw... the Porsche, please!

About the durability between the two, just how different is it? I'm considering either of these cameras, and I do a lot of outdoor stuff, like climbing mountains and such. The extra weight of the 1D wouldn't bother me, if the weather sealing and such are that much greater.