What to bring

tim_kong

Hi there,

I will be going to Bangkok in 2 weeks time and I wanted advise as to

what type of lenses I should bring as not to overlaod. I intend on

taking street life photography as well as historical

buildings/monuments. I have 17-40/4, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/4, 50/1.8 &

100/2 at my disposal. All advises are welcome and thanks in advance.

I just got back from there (december) , the 17-40 and 70-200 is the right stuff . The long lens is VITAL for detail at the temples (golden temple and so on) etc. I actually had a 5d and a 28-300 as well as a 17-40. The 28-300 (equiv to your 2 lenses) was superb in Bangkok , the 17-40 on my side was a wee bit too wide.

Some pics at

http://www.rodg.fotopic.net

(for some reason fotopic has "reprocessed" these files , even the full sized versions have more noise and worse colours then the pics that reside on my puter?)

The biggest problem I had was condensation as it was extremely humid and instant condensation appeared on my camera and lenses as soon as I took anything out the bag. Tons of ppol jostling you and trying to sell you all manner of things , so keep your stuff well secured. You will also find that "clear" shots without the hordes of tourists and tour groups are a big problem. Zillions of photo opportunities abound tho.

(Its a filthy city however and I have no idea of how ppl don't get electrocuted as there are exposed electrical wires all over)

I strongly recommend that you consider renting or buying an ultra-wide lens like the Canon 10-22 or Tokina 12-24. If not, the 17-40 is a must. One of these + 50/1.8 + 100/2 gives you a package to fit almost all need while being light.

I would not recommend taking the 70-200/4. Reason: It's white and thus very obstructive. As well as un-natural behavior from the surrounding people, you're also at a higher risk of it being stolen.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Rodney and Yakim are both right. You need longer than 100 for Thailand temples. However, be careful in carrying a white lens around Bangkok city. It would be perfect if you can buy the new 70-300mm IS and sell your 70-200 f/4L when you get home.

I am a native Bangkokian and I also own several Canon cameras and lenses. So I may be qualified to contribute some suggestions. However, when it comes to "What lenses/cameras should I bring to ...?" type of question I always suggest people read Kyle Cassidy's Travel FAQ for a clear and useful recommendation. I myself even read it again and again before I departed to Austria/Cambodia/China/Japan/France/UK/ ...

<br><br>

<a href="http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/plug/travelfaq.html">Kyle Cassidy Travel FAQ</a>

<br>