What lens to take for a D2H in a rowing boat

george_simpson2

My next problem (thanks to those of you who helped me solve how to

charge my D2H in the rowing boat) is that I don't know what lens(es)

to take with me.

I'm in a 24ft rowing boat going across the Atlantic so I'd expect to

be taking photos of sunrises / sunsets and portraits of each other

from time to time.

I'm very budget limited after spending the entire pot on the D2H

(eBay is a terrible thing) so am currently looking at the cheap

Nikkor 18-70DX and maybe something like a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 or f.18.

Could I get more for my money backing Sigma (for example)? Would

something like a Sigma function fully with the D2H?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm afriad I fall in to the catagory of "all

the gear and no f*!#ing idea!"

Many thanks

George

I am afraid that we are getting off topic, but no amount of insurance will do you any good if your life is in danger in the middle of the Atlantic. Or for that matter if your camera is damaged and therefore cannot take any pictures.

We are not going to discuss of the safety of sailing here, but something to protect your camera and maybe a backup are things to consider.

As long as you can stop down a stop or two from maximum aperture the 18-70DX ain't bad. Weelll ... actually, it's pretty awful at 18mm no matter what, but nudge it toward about 20mm and it starts to improve significantly. That should be wide enough for shots of the boat within the context of the deep blue.

Maybe you can find one used in good condition. I'd have sold or traded mine by now but I can't afford anything better yet in that focal range. If I'm gonna spend that kinda money it'll be on a telephoto or telezoom.

Better still, IMO, is the 24-120 VR. It costs a bit more than the 18-70DX but has some advantages. The VR will help when the boat is being tossed around, especially with shutter speeds slower than 1/250 second. The longer reach may come in handy, especially for getting tight portraits of your companions, without having to get right in their faces (which might be important after a long and stressful journey).

Like the 18-70DX it needs to be stopped down at least one stop and the 24-120 VR isn't at its best at the widest focal length. But by 28mm it improves considerably.

It'd probably be a good idea to spend a few bucks on a camera raincoat too. Some pretty decent ones are available for under $100 now.

Maybe you need to just spend the money for the lens on some therapy:). Seriously you might just be a little mad for wanting to row a boat across the Atlantic. Good luck to you.

As for the lenses I think just the 50mm f1.8 with a good polarizer. I don't think you need a wide angle cause your frame is going to be filled with the vastness of the great atlantic. Only reason for a wide angle might be to get your two rowing mates in the same frame while still trying to convey the hugeness of the ocean. Or maybe a rogue 50 foot wave from an early noreaster might be bearing down on you and you want to get the whole thing in the frame to show your all your friends when you get back.

Again Good Luck and smooth rowing :)

First, hat off to your project and best of luck. I assume you have worked out how to store pictures on the way, in addition to charging batteries. Whatever you have decided I would suggest you use a second waterproof+floating case with an battery-operated hard-disk to do frequent uploads from the camera and keep this in another place of the rowing boat. Should something go wrong with the camera/primary backup system you have at least the images.

Second, I have done some sailing and sailing pictures and if I were in your boat I would do the following:

- Forget about the 50mm, that focal lens is well covered by the cheap zoom and for portraits (well, with the 1.5x the 50mm is for portraits) it will be enough. If you really feel like "normal" then get a 35mm prime. In my experience, though, you do not get really so much use of the 50mm(x1.5) in such a restricted...Even on a 12.5meter craft I found it too long. And mainly shot a 20mm

- Indeed, I would invest in a 20mm/2.8 prime, latest model. The deformations of the horizon you get with the 18-70Dx are horrible (mustache, wavy, you name them) while the 20 is less extreme and a tough great lens: I battered mine badly and still survives. You will be able to get the most of all possible skies, with or without parts of the boat/crew in front.

- I would consider getting a Moose polariser+warming filter. Or at least a polarising filter and leave it all the time on the lens: the stop you lose wrt just a UV or similar is easy recovered changing ISO settings.

- Carry a fully mechanical (FM2n? Or similar) backup body with few films. When you see something great, shot it also with that: you really can never know what might happen to your electronics AFTER you have taken the pictures...

- Carry a EWA Marine waterproof cover, and do shot when that wave will wash on the deck: you will love that picture once home. Conversely, investigate if for a decent price you cand get a small+cheap waterproof camera for when things are really bad. Those are the pictures which look best to the general public and too often one does not think about pictures in bad moments either to protect the gear (therefore the cheap camera or the housing, with a preference for the former) or because is thinking about other matters (that's attitude, but you might try to overcome that I am sure)

Feel free to get in touch with me for anything else might pop to your mind.

P.S. I assume you are bringing a sextant with the necessary tables...

I guess that the vastness of the Atlantic and the sky above it are what all this is about and I would be interested, for one, in seing exactly those pictures. Therefore, the wider the better. But that's a matter of opinion.

In general, I think George should think in advance which kind of pictures he wants to bring home, and choose focal lens accordingly. Last but not least, with all the D2H pixels, one can always afford cropping much of the edges away and end up with reasonable, closer, images, should one "go (relatively) wide".

Other things you can do with a wide angle, with my tastes:

- Rig a small floating support "following" the boat and shot from there with timer at the longest speed. Some tools for this might be considered before departure: this shots you could repeat at sunrise/set still in sight of coast, once coast will be sighted.

- Do the same from the sides and from the front (much trickier).

- Strap the camera on a row, and get the row "view point" on the boat. Repeat from all angles, sun position, cloud patterns... maybe a remote could help.

- Lay flat to the bow and get sunset reflections on the sides, bow...

For all this a short and compact prime works better than a long-barrel zoom.

Salvatore,

I was always taught that a 50mm lens could be a wide angle if you moved back far enough to allow what you are trying to photograph to fill the entire frame. With the horizon being 20 miles off in all directions and the sun a few hundred million I would guess that any shot taken of the horizon or sunset or whatever would be considered wide angle. That being said I figured the cheap and extremely sharp 50mm fit the bill. But if he is trying to shoot in cramped spaces or as you said with the camera on an oar facing back at the boat (great idea by the way) then what the heck pick up a 17-80 kit lens or 24-85 IF (I own this one).

George, Can I go?

Have you contacted Nikon, Nikon Professional Services, NPS, may loan you

a lens or two along with another body, This is obviously a professional

endeavor which they may be interested in testing and proving some of their

equipment. If Nikon is a no go I would contact Sports Illustrated, National

Geographic, etc. there's gotta be some equipment help in here somewhere, in

exchange for a sticker on the boat, photo usage or story and pictures.

I hate to say this, but if Nikon won't do it contact everyone else out there

before you start spending your own money on such a venture. Especially

contact Pelikan cases and Ikelite??? (underwater housing), rough weather

pictures are the ones everybody really wants to see.

Also, National Geographic may have some good ideas on floating a camera

behind the boat or even doing some kite photogrpahy. I think they can be

pretty accessible when you are doing something 'for real." I'd start with the

Photo equipment department for ideas, for story and support you would

obviously start somewhere in the editorial or Photo department.

Best of luck, when do you leave? We'll all be expecting to see some pictures

of course.

Oh, and don't forget about trying to get some free data cards, an Epson P2000

storage unit could also be very helpful. How are the solar battery chargers

coming along?

I'm Jealous,

Captain Dennis<div>00DvnU-26164284.jpg.d50df54692d9c054bd90a29cd3656d7a.jpg</div>

have a look at the Pentax OptioWP for a cheap waterproof snapshooter?

For portraits of each other in such tight quarters, I'd guess a 24mm setting would work well (I love my Nikon 12-24 at 24mm for environmental portraits). I might not bother with a Nikon 24mm 2.8 prime - somewhat expensive and not much faster than the kit lens. How about the Sigma 24mm 1.8? Anyone used one?

For sunsets, wider than 18mm will probably just get a lot of featureless water, and a short tele will useful to grab details of clouds etc. The kit lens should do well enough for the money, especially if there's a cheap tripod around so you can stop down in twilight.

get a Tamron,Sigma or Vivitar 19-35mm for $100 and if it gets wasted, no worries. Unless you planning on posting your pics on SI or something, an inexpensive yet funtional WA lens will do. I still think you shouldn't take a $2000-3000 D2h with you and maybe settle for D70 just incase you get some seawater seeping around that tub. $1500-2000 in camera/lens saving will buy a lot of important lifesaving gear/GPS/satillite telephone and food and life insurance.

God speed dude. You got a bigger set than I do.

Blimey - thanks for all the interest! A massive thanks to all those of you who have contributed such informed answers. I have read them all and will do as many as we can. Sadly we leave in 3 weeks (the boat left yesterday, we meet it at the start) so I won't be able to get in touch with Nikon to get any loan / free stuff. In my experience it takes a few months of courting to get anything for nothing. You have to convince them you're serious!

I am working on a peli case - this is an excellent idea, thank you. We also have a waterproof bag housing and will be buying some of the instant kodac cheap things to use to distruction!

Once again, a massive thank you to everyone. Please watch us at www.Atlantic4.co.uk.