Large Fine vs. Large Normal using 20D

kennyahn

At what print size would normal (you can decide what normal is)

people begin to see degradation in quality when shooting Large

Normal as opposed to Large Fine? I called Canon and two people gave

me two different answers. I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in

advance.

For every person you talk to you're going to get a different answer.

Please, I'm not trying to be obnoxious or rude. I speak from experience. In 3-4 years, whether you shot L/F or L/N, you're going to be upset that you didn't shoot RAW along with it because now you can see or think you can see the .jpg compression. When in doubt, go big. Shoot L/F w/RAW. If you need to buy an extra card or two, buy them. Because eventually, especially as these cameras continue to increase in MP, you're going to wish you did.

I know--$100 I didn't spend in 1998 lead to many expletives being spoken today about images might have been much better and perhaps even usable today. Buy the extra cards, spend a little extra time backing up the images. You'll be happy you did.

I used to take jpgL fine only but have convince myself now that raw is better so recently have been using raw + jpgL.

One reason I stuck with jpg files is because somewhile ago (on my Canon G2) my CF card failed and it said I had 'no images'. I did panic for a while but was able to download a recovery program from the internet and retrieve my 'lost' images. During the process the recovery program said it could only recover standard image files. So for this reason I have always been wary of having my images in raw format only. I might change to raw + jpgL normal to save space as currently I can only get 76 images from a 1Gb card.

For the record I can get from a 1Gb card:

76 images using raw + jpgL fine

89 images using raw + jpgL normal

87 images using raw + jpgM

95 images using raw + jpgS

109 images using raw only

257 images using jpgL fine

573 images using jpgL normal

437 images using jpgM fine

767 images using jpgS fine

more than 999 images using jpgS normal

More than 10 times the capacity depending on the image quality.