Canon Digital Rebel XT (body) or 17-40 f/4.0L?

delwyn_ching

The only real reason why I sometimes feel I should upgrade my 300D to the 350D is the larger buffer and faster processing speed when shooting RAW. If that's not an issue for you then get a good lens for the money.

BTW, I would sell the Tamron first!

if you were a new DLSR buyer, i'd say get the better camera and go with the xt

(<a href="http://photonotes.org/cgi-bin/entry.pl?id=%7CFlashexposurecompensation" target="_blank">FEC</a>

alone is a great reason).

<p>but you already have a 300D; so if you don't do a lot of flash exposures (no

real need for the xt's onboard FEC), the gap between these cameras might not

be worth the upgrade. aside from FEC, there's no one big advantage that the

xt has over the 300D. the camera is only <em>slightly</em> faster, with <em>slightl</em>y

more mp's, etc. i'd say stick with the 300D until next summer, when you can

pick up a 20D for cheap (its replacement is predicted to come out in the spring

of 2006). get yourself some good glass in the meantime.</p>

<p>camera bodies come and go, but good glass might outlive<em><strong> </strong></em>you.

cheers! </p><div>00DvPQ-26156984.jpg.b202586968d810593f7b469770936c19.jpg</div>

If you haven't done so already, "upgrade" your 300D by installing the improved firmware. This gives you FEC, ISO 3200, mirror lockup and some other features that have been disabled in the 300D's original firmware by Canon.

Still, when shooting RAW the small buffer of the 300D and slow writing speed when it flushes the buffer is an annoyance, e.g. when shooting portraits. I have no first hand experience how much that is improved in the 350D, but according to what I read, there is a large improvement in this respect.

I wouldn't sell the 50 1.8. You'll get maybe $40-50 for it if you're lucky. Then you'll be out an excellent lens, and what, buy another for a loss?

If you do sell your Drebel, 18-55, 28-135, and Tamron, you might get $800-1000 (no real idea how much that 28-300 would sell for). I assume you have $700 or so for the 17-40. So $1500-1700.

That could get you a 20D with a new kit lens for $1400 (not including $100 rebate), or 350D with the 17-40 L for $1600 not including $230 in rebates.