Nikon announced it will stop making film cameras!!!

ken_jeanette

<P>Ken, how does your question relate to the rest of your post? Will existing Nikon cameras stop working when Nikon production ceases? Is Kodak film only usable in Nikon cameras?</P><P>Questions have been raised repeatedly about the future of film and the consensus is that a continuing user base will keep the whole show going regardless of individual suppliers dropping out.</P>

"I just read a piece on CNet news that Nikon will phase our production of most of its film cameras, <i>and all lenses for them</i>."

<P>

You misread, or CNet got it wrong. Nikon will discontinue <u>most</u> of its film cameras, and all <b>large format and enlarging</b> lenses, along with many of its <b>manual focus</B> lenses (nine remain in production). The <b>ENTIRE</b> autofocus lineup remains in production, and <u>most</u> of these lenses fit (and were originally made for) film cameras.<P>

<a href="http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201">http://www.nikon.co.uk/press_room/releases/show.aspx?rid=201</a>

"You will find more than a couple of AF lenses"

Okay then - the CURRENT autofocus lens lineup remains in production.

Most of the autofocus lenses in the list at the above link have been replaced with newer versions, or superceded by a different lens. The 400/500mm telephotos have been replaced by the AFS-II versions, the 300mm by a VR, the 80~200mm AF-S by the 70~200mm VR, the 35~105mm by the 28~105mm (long ago), etc, etc. Some of these have been discontinued for a couple of years (50/1.8AF, TC-14E, TC-20E). I think the 28/1.4D is the only one on the list that doesn't have a current counterpart.