D200 & SB-80DX TTL not compatible

cindy_fandl1

I just bought a D200 and tried to use it with my SB-80DX only to learn

that it is not compatible with TTL mode. I guess my question is WHY?

WHY? Why can they make a camera that is compatible with lenses from

the 1950s and not with a flash I bought less than two years ago?? Why

would I want to use manual mode and not TTL? Makes no sense. Now I

have to use the flash on manual or go out and buy a $300 SB-800. It

is misleading in the specifications, unless you know exactly what to

look for.

"It is misleading in the specifications," NOT! Nikon did not say it was compatible, did they?

"..unless you know exactly what to look for." I would say that you overlooked the flash compatibility or did not look it up.

The i-TTL is the new flash system for the past 2 years (almost).

Sorry that it is an inconvenience to you. But the new system is really terrific. Give it try when you have a chance.

Nikon's current flash technology is iTTL, introduced along with the D2H and SB-800/SB-600 in the summer of 2003, which was 2.5 years ago. I understand it is useless to put that out now, but if you indeed bought a new flash within two years, unfortunately you should have bought the newer SB-800 in anticipation for future compatibility. I too have an SB-80DX from 2002 when I bought the D100, and I had to add SB-800's to work with the D2X.

Your SB-80DX is usable on the D200 in the sense that MF lenses are usable on it, but you will be missing some modern features such as iTTL, AF, and VR.

Bernard is right, you can get good results in AA mode.I have tried it myself and sometimes there are no differences between AA and TTL.

But i still agree with you that it's frustrating.

I bought a D100 and had to buy the sb80dx, as the sb-25 was not working in TTL mode.(while the Fuji S2 pro + sb-25 combo was able to shoot in TTL)

Cheers

OTH, it is strange that Nikon would build the D200 with no TTL compatibility with the

SB-80DX, whereas the D2X offers both TTL with the SB-80DX and i-TTL witht the SB-600/

800 line.

Why do they always have to play a dirty little trick to force people who have just spent a

fortune on a new camera to buy something extra? It's been Nikon Capture which was not

bundled with the D2X even when they encrypted its Nef files. Now, it's the D200 which will

force you to buy a new speedlight if you want TTL. Unacceptable, as usual with Nikon.

• 3 weeks later...

Bernard

I have just spend hours and two days talking to Nikon about the 80DX compatibility

The first guide - said - gosh I don't know

The last 2 said see page 178 or 179 in the manul

The SB80DX is not compatible period

So they also said ask how it was done...

Here is what I am noticing

No F-stop information

No ISO information

No Shutter Information

No Zoom position Information

and

NO "AA" OPERATION

Help - assistance is needed

NLL

• 10 months later...