Hwy 1 to Big Sur, California

klsphoto

Wow. My first thought is that you must be rich to pay California prices for a dash like that.

It's a long way and gonna cost a bunch of a scarce resource to do that.

Getting to your question, and keeping in mind the environmental effects of a pleasure

drive that long, and not knowing where you're starting from, let me at least suggest that

you select one spot on Route 1 maybe an hour's drive from you, and spend the day

concentrating on shooting there. That way you palliate your desire to get out and about,

use a lot less gasoline, and still get, if the weather's good, 3 or 4 hundred amazing shots

in 5 or 6 fabulous situations. And you avoid the cliche shots of the best known spots, to

boot.

<I>Thinking of driving Hwy 1 to Big Sur this weekend. </i><P>

From the north (Carmel) or south (San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay)? If you come up from the

south, do not miss the elephant seal colony just north of San Simeon and just south of the

Piedras Blancas lighthouse. To be honest it would be about impossible to miss, since the

parking lot will likely have a ton of cars and it is right next to the highway.<P>

One of my favorite spots (often overlooked) is Molera State Park, which encompasses the

Big Sur River mouth. If the weather's been dry, the Old Stage Road from just opposite the

Molera entrance road up to the north side of Bixby Creek bridge is quite pretty. Or the

Naciemento Road, from near Pacific Valley up over the coast range and eventually to

highway 101 (this passes through Hunter Liggett military reservation, and you will need all

your car documents -- registration, proof of insurance, etc.).

When you get to Garrapata, go a little past the big spot that everyone pulls over at, but before you get to the big right and then left turn, where there is another overlook. Along there, you might find the pathway down to the coast line. Get down there. That's where the best shots are. It's hard for me to describe without a map, but it's the only ocean point within Garrapata. If you reach it, you've gone too far.

<a href='http://www.michaelhardeman.com/ImageSearch.aspx?SearchString=big%20sur'>http://www.michaelhardeman.com/ImageSearch.aspx?SearchString=big%20sur</a>

As a resident of Santa Cruz I regulary take a Sunday afternoon drive with the ole Nikon in this area. Just north of Monterey is the little community of Moss Landing and just to the north, Elkhorn Slough. There is a tremendous oppurtunity for landscape water interaction images in this area. There is a large power station in Moss Landing and a road that essentially goes east from right in front of the power station. Elkhorn Slough is back in there and you won't have hard time Finding good possibilities. Anywhere between Big Sur and Carmel are numerous turnouts that you can set up and wait for the sunset. About 10 miles south of Carmel is Rocky Point Restaurant. Drive down into their parking lot and shoot south towrads the Bixby Bridge. I've parked there several times and while they post signs about parking there and being a restaurant patron, I've never had a problem. Have a great weekend

I don't know if I can get past the pain of contributing to your environmental offenses. OK, I did. The state parks really do hit many of the highlights - "the usual suspects" as it where. The State Reserve at Point Lobos is wonderful, sometimes can be crowded om weekends, as you get past the populated sections of the Carmel region, there begin to be some turn-outs for smaller bridges, little coves, etc., as you go through the Garrapata area.

The extremely popular McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park are best lit in the afternoon. There's a less well known falls at Salmon Creek, the trail is just before you get out of Monterey county, driving south , you pass a small forest service facility as the road ducks into the canyon and there is a parking area on the inland side. It's not marked specifically for the falls but for other trails. It's maybe a 10 minute walk and easy to find. The elephant seal colony at Piedras Blancas is heavily populated this time of year. You won't have any trouble finding it.

I'd suggest trying to stay in the San Simeon or Cambria area if you go that far, although it's not that much farther to the Morro Bay area which has cheaper lodging and the bay and Montana de Oro parks as well. Lodging through the whole route from Carmel to Cambria and even Morro Bay tends to be somewhat scarce and dear on weekends. Lots of people visit the area, Hearst Castle being a huge draw as well as the natural beauty although maybe somewhat less crowded in winter. We've camped at the San Simeon State Park - actually just a little north of Cambria and 5 miles south of the castle area. Close to Cambria services like markets, restaurants, reasonable gas (for a coastal resort).

The poison oak will probably not be a huge problem this time of year but staying on trails is advisable as the disctinctive foliage can be much less obvious or missing in winter.

Thank you all for your ideas. I did forget to mention that I am starting from the South, in Simi Valley and hope to make McWay Falls by late afternoon, RON in Big Sur and return the next day. Ambitious, I know, but never underestimate a woman with a mission. Late last October I drove from Simi to Yosemite and back in the same day and still had 8 hours of shooting time in the park--300 miles one way.

I appreciate those who pointed out the "out of the way" spots and I will try to visit as many of them as possible. Thanks again, Karen

From the south, gas up again in Morro Bay. The beach from Morro Bay through Cayucos is a long beautiful stretch, but I'd suggest making mental notes of places to check on the return trip and concentrate north of the Cambria area initially. It's a beautiful area and we were up to Buellton last Saturday and the hills have started to green up some.

Try Limekiln State Park, about 1/2 way between San Simeon and Julia Pfeiffer Burns. It's

on the right side as you head north. Has a very nice hike about 2 miles each way through

redwoods to a waterfall. If you enjoy hiking as well as photography, you'll love this.

Plenty of parking as there is a campground right off the highway. If the weather does not

cooperate for wide scenic shots, this would be a great alternative.