Problem with a Retina IIa

Hi there,

I'm having some problem with the focusing mechanism of my Retina IIa.

The lens move back and forth when I focus but when I look in the

viewfinder, I don't have the double image anymore. It uses to work

fine 1 week ago ... What could be wrong ? It actually focus and I can

scale focus but I can't use the patch help anymore ...

Any clue?

Thanks !

Fred

It sounds like the beam splitter mirror may have fallen off it's mount. It's under the top cover, inside the spuare RF tube. Can you hear a little something rattling around in there if you turn the camera side to side?

<p>

You can take the top off and take the RF unit off to check it out if you're into that kind of thing.

<p>

Dean

<p>

<a href="http://www.deansofidaho.com">deansofidaho.com</a>

I've worked on many of these Retinas and find it's very common for the old grease and lube to get caked up preventing the rangefinder form moving properly. It's not hard to access the rangefinder by removing the top cover. The site someone listed here is very good as a guide. Refocusing the rangefinder is more of an issue but also a simple process and plenty of info is available on that too.
The more you say, the less people listen.

Try making a tool, Fred. Go to an auto parts store and get a cheap set of small needle nose pliers with the smallest nose you can find. Then grind the tips of the pliers to points.

<p>

This will work well in a pinch. Just make sure to hold the pliers in a manner that they will not slip out of the holes.

<p>

Dean

<p>

<a href="http://www.deansofidaho.com">deansofidaho.com</a>

Ok, my rangefinder problem is solved !! Lubricated everything and adjusted the rangefinder. Great.

Now some other problem ... I want to lubricate the focus mechanism, following thse instruction: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7ESraw...smechanism.html

First, I don't know how to remove the rear element. Second I don't know what notch is is talking about, even with the pictures ... I know, I'm hopeless .. :-)

Could someone help ?? How to I remove the rear element ? Does it unscrew ? Should I turn it with something ?

Thanks 1

Fred

To lube the focusing mechanism, just wick in some lighter fluid into the helical, it will loosen the old grease and make everything nice n smooth.

If you are a radical looking to get deep inside to do a thourough cleaning...

The rear element unscrews via the two notches looking in the back. My spanner is a flat piece of metal cut to size and relieved with a V to clear the glass lens in the center. Once you have the rear cell out, you can remove the shutter via the other retaining ring with 2 notches. I use another piece of flat metal cut to size of the span.

Once the shutter is removed, you'll have a better viwew of the focusing mechanism.

OH if you don't have notches in the rear cell, it may have a knurled edge. Grasp the edge using a pair of hemostats with plstic tubing on it's ends as a protective covering so it won't bite the metal. Unscrew it out by finger once it breaks loose.

It is so much fun working on these beauties. I just finished working on about a dozen of these for a lady getting ready to sell her fathers 40 year old collection of old cameras of every make.

Taking the shutter off is better so you can spend more time doing a better cleaning. That old grease is so caked up, it took an overnight bath in sovent to break it all out.