Statistics or Supporting articles and research

j_m28

I am working on a business plan to approach a bank with, for a loan.

I am in need of supporting research/articles, etc stating or

supporting that true Black and White photography and small

commercial B&W printing is still alive and possibly coming back.

Many of the trade journals I get my hands on, primarily focus on how

1 hour digital prints in your local pharmacy for 12 cents a print,

are edging out the old timers. I believe, as do many store owners

that I have spoken to, that true lovers of B&W don't want their TMax

or Ilford, etc B&W film developed and then printed on color paper in

a 1 hour machine. Is there a still a call for the traditional B&W

niche? Are people willing to wait and pay for quality non digital

work? Does anyone know of any online journals or websites that have

recent research or articles supporting or disproving this belief?

The business would offer other services, but the primary niche would

be traditonal B&W. Any assitance would be most appreciated. If the

moderator feels this post is appropriate in any other forums, please

advise me or fwd it. Thanks for all assistance.

J

When I started out in the late '50s, virtually all social photography, and better than 80% of commercial work was still in B&W. Amateur work was mostly B&W and transparencies. Today, not only is digital relentlessly asserting itself, but it is not helping the already vanishing silverbased B&W. Yes, there is STILL a demand for custom B&W, negative color, and various transparencies (even Kodachrome), but the writing is on the wall. These niche markets are getting thinner and more spread out almost daily, and to reach and service thembecomes more daunting daily, as well. Gather all the stats and research materials you will, but the fact stubbornly remains: digital is in, silverbased is on the way out, and the persistent residue of custom B&W work can EASILY be handled by the few remaining labs. Remember, the steam engine never came back, nor the horse and buggy, nor the passenger train, in any real sense, nor oil portraits very much, nor huge ocean liners, nor candles and oil lamps, nor corsets,nor dramas on radio, nor typewriters, nor carbon paper, nor any of scores of products and services that flourished during my lifetime. If you're waiting for B&W to make a significant come back, you may as well be waiting for Godot.

Art,

Thank you for the honest opinion. That is the type honest answers I am looking for. Can you point me in any published direction that supports your opinion? Is there anyone out there that supports or refutes this position? I am looking for opinions, as well as researched facts. The only thing I can find is , and Art I only use this word for lack of a better term at this early morning hour, said with all respect "hearsay"? That word works both ways. As I have said, a couple of older store owners adamently refute your opinion. I need more thoughts and research. I am trying to make a well researched and informed decision before stepping forward or walking away and saying, "I always wonder". Again thanks for all input, negative or positive.

JM -

Art is exactly right. I operate a small B&W custom lamp and b&W business is slowly shrinking - despite being in a university town where someone "discovers" film each year.

We have been moving to digital and that part of our work is increasing, so on balance, things are going pretty well.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of developing film and printing in a wet darkroom, however from a business standpoint, it's becoming much more a hobby than a business.

Now, having thrown cold water all over your idea, I think there is still an opportunity for a photo business. You just need to offer something the customer wants and can't (or doesn't believe he/she can) get. You have to do this in a way that the percieved value is greater than the price; then people will cheerfully buy. Easy to say - hard to do.

Good luck,

Jim

As I see it, it's NOT the few vocal older store owners who may refute my position, it's the 1000s of owners who remain silent and see no valid reason to offer up any validation of the notion of a feasible B&W market. Words state, while silence shouts! If you are seeking published pros and cons and find none, perhaps it's simply a case of res ipsa loquitur, or "The thing speaks for itself."