Best Compact....

sushil

Point and Shoot FILM camera. Can somebody suggest one? Sometimes I

feel D70 is too much to carry around. I want to carry a P & S FILM

camera for candids as there is no digital compact camera with quick

response. I don't mind single focal length camera with slightly

faster lens, something like Olympus mju.

The Nikon TW Zoom 105 is still one of the best compact filmcameras ever I think, It's got a

powerful flash with a full range of possibilities (synch with slow speeds, strobe flash), a

very nice 37-105mm lens with ED lenselements (for enhanced contrast and true colour

reproduction), and there is also a version with a databack. Nowadays you can find them

cheap. I had two of them and recently sold one for 75 euro.

It's not too small but fits in any decent sized pocket.

some fuji's P&S DIGITAL camera are quite responsive.

i used to use F75 as film compact

i've used 2 Leica P&S too. results are VERY good :) esp when flash is used (look very natural)

my sister recently used her leica again since her digital compact 've some problem.... and she's surprised that how good the leice film compact is.

price? well, for the leica compact and the date imprint back.. you can probably get a D50 kit ...

"something like Olympus mju"

then why not a Oly mju ?

Nobody's mentioned the Minolta TC-1, but that's perhaps not so strange as there are few of them around, but if you can get hold of one, there are no 35mm film cameras more pocketable, and few as sharp. Aperture priority and exposure compensation adds to the functionality of it compared to several other compacts. Only letdown compared to, say, a Contax T3 is that the viewfinder is smaller and murkier. If I hadn't found a TC-1 second-hand, I'd have bought a new T3 instead.

I have a Stylus Epic and use it for general snapshots. I had one in the past and wasn't too impressed. The one I have now seems better. What I don't like about it is that it is all automated...and will shoot at 2.8 untill you get a lot of light.

If you want more manual control, then I would suggest a Rollei 35. They came in both 3.5 and 2.8 models. All mechanical and not battery dependent except for the built in reflective meter. A hand held incident meter is better. There is no built in flash. This is what I carry everyday...loaded with B&W.

• 9 months later...

Leica CM, Contax T3, Minolta TC-1, Ricoh GR1v, Rollei AFM35 (Fuji Klasse), Fuji Natura Black F1.9, Yashica T4 Super (Yashica T5), Olympus Stylus Epic (Olympus MjuII).

Them are probably your best bets for compact film fixed focal length point&shoots. The Fuji Natura is nice because of its bright f1.9 lens. The Yashica is pretty neat because of the "super scope" (sort of a waist level viewfinder on top of camera), plus the camera is weatherproof.

But my fav's are probably the GR1v and the T3. Very pocketable and both have the ability to accept lens accessories.

• 3 months later...

Well, I used to carry around an Olympus Mju (With my bag of manual SLR stuff), and found it excellent.

Recently, I bought a Nikon Zoom 300- partly for the pocketable point & shoot for times I didn't want a SLR with me, and wanted to play with the panoramic function it has. Dirt cheap and i was blown away with how good the results are.

• 3 years later...