I want to learn

wade_rose

Join a camera club and get to know the guys who give understandable answers to you questions.

Look at lots of photographs in books and at groups like this and work out what you like and don't like and try and work out how they took the shots .. even ask questions directly ... most folk are happy to explain iof they have the time.

Use the Rebel in automatic mode until you understand about things.

Browse http://www.geocities.com/nikon5700itee/index.html for basic info.

get a note book, then go out and shoot as many pictures as you can in manual mode...keep a record of each pic and its settings. Remember choosing the right settings is the most important thing to learn. Dont just use auto mode (P) on the camera... thats good for some stuff but if you want to take pics that come out the way you intend you must use Manual mode and fine tune your settings. Get a book that explains focal length, Arpeture, Shutter speed, ISO, flash photography and such... then just try all your different settings.. Yes, the learning curve is a big one but believe me, you will not regret learning all these things, especially if you want to take great photos. And dont forget, youll need to get some type of post editing program to "edit" your photos in.. they will need it, DSLR'S arent the "magic" box some people take them for. Your pics will need to be sharpened, cropped, lightened or darkened, fixed in some way,shape or form. Youll learn in time, dont get discouraged by all this stuff. And learn to shoot in RAW format, read your manual for further advice on using this feature.

good luck!

-zacker-

I'm a beginner in the same boat. The advice here is all good and it works. I gave myself "assignments" to figure out my camera settings: I shot a ton of pics in manula mode changing aperature, shutter speed, etc, writing everything down. I was terrified of manual mode before I did this but after 1 weekend I am comfortable using it and feel like I can take the next step. Good luck!

I would strongly suggest figuring out what you are going to do with the pictures when you are done! A while ago I stopped taking pictures because I had both a shoe box and a hard drive full of pictures. Now my wife scraps and I build web a web page, CD and DVD, and we are taking pictures again.

Over time you will develop a style. You can look over what you have taken and decide what you want to focus on. Then you can set yourself assignments and such. You can also monitor your progress.

My style is candid pictures of my family and our life. Extreamly boring to everyone except my immediate family. I do take nature shots also, but again, nothing great.

Also I would find a friend that is also intrested in learning with you. I am fortunate that I have a wife that loves to comment on my pictures. After you get the basics, then you can look at pushing your self in areas that you like.

I have been using my current camera for over a year and I still do not use all the features. Dont worry about it, just get out and take pictures, and do something with them when you are done.

oh yeah, remember to have fun!