Close-up lens question

istvan_sandor

Hi,

I am planning to buy a close up lens for my Canon EF 70-200 L.

I tried a Hoya (not an achromat, just a single glass one) in store,

What I noticed is that at 70mm the image is pretty usable already at

2.8 and good from 5.6 up. However, at 200mm it was a complete

disaster at 2.8 and improved radically with every F stop up.

Is it possible that the performance of the close up lens is

significantly different at the diff. focal lengths of the same main

lens? The 70-200 works perfectly in all FLs in normal use. I would

think that the optical performance of a single close up lens must not

change with the change of the FL but now, I don't know...

I appreciate any advise on this. Thanks, Istvan

It's perfectly possible. With the lens set at 70mm the power of the close up lens is a small fraction of the power of the lens itself, so it is just perturbing the optical behaviour. With the lens set at 200mm it will make a major difference to the optical behaviour, and the flaws will be much more apparent.

If you are using a digital 1.6X body (300D, 350D, 10D, 20D & ...), you could using a Nikon 5T (+1.5) or 6T (+2.5) in 62mm thread and use a 67 to 62 step down ring. Nikon 5T and 6T are like 500D and are dual elements. Nikon is lower in cost. Yes the difference is large between a single and dual element close up lens.

<i>"you could using a Nikon 5T (+1.5) or 6T (+2.5) in 62mm thread and use a 67 to 62 step down ring"</i><p>Since Istvan mentions f/2.8, he isn't using the (67mm) 70-200/4L which does indeed work great without vignetting on Nikon's (62mm) 5T/6T diopters, even on film/full frame. He must be using the (77mm) 70-200/2.8L.<p>I don't remember reading any info about the compatibility of (62mm) Nikons on a (77mm) EF 70-200/2.8L, but wonder if it would vignette on a 1.6x crop body.<p>Istvan, either get Nikon or Canon double-element diopters, or nothing at all. Anything else, especially the horrible "sets of 3" types, will be filler for the junk drawer.