Cheapest, smallest handheld light meter

melaniec

I am looking for a handheld light meter. It does not have to be fancy, it does not have to be

digital, it just has to work and not be too difficult to understand. I would like to develop my

"eye" for exposures and lighting, but it's proving more difficult than I anticipated so it would

be nice to have a light meter while I learn to use my M3.

I want something as tiny as possible, and as cheap as possible (these conditions may be

mutually exclusive, I don't know). Most of the light meters I see for sale are prohibitively

expensive. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Melanie

I use a digisix. I like everything except the lack of an off switch. The battery dies rather quickly, so now I usually take the battery out when not in use. No big deal as long as I can keep from losing the battery, and remember to reset the ISO eac time I put the batt. back in.

The Voigtlaender meter is indeed tiny. But it's not cheap, it's a bit fiddly to use (because it's tiny), and the film speed selector has so little friction that I keep feeling the need to check it. Also, and like perhaps all tiny meters, it can only meter reflected light.

The Sekonic L208 "Twinmate" is very roughly the same price as the Voigtlaender. It's much bigger and heavier. But it's still small and light, it's an ergonomic delight, and it can measure incident light. I recommend it (though not for very low light levels).

Old meters are plentiful and cheap. If you go shopping for one, take along another meter (e.g. one within a camera, preferably one that meters straightforwardly) for checking it against.

(I recently got an ancient "Baby Sekonic" free: I discovered it in the back of a drawer two or three days ago. It seems to work well [it vigorously responds to light] but I can't figure out how to use it. Tips welcome.)

I still have a Jessops meter that only cost me 50 GB pounds many years ago (when I needed a cheap meter for using a Rolleicord) and it is robust and reliable and accurate. Well it seems they still sell it.... <a href="http://www.jessops.com/search/viewproduct.cfm?PRODUCT=JESCDSM&BRAND=GOS,JES&CONTINUE=false&FEATS=&FIRSTPRICE=0&KEYWORD=&LEVEL=&MODELNUMBER=&NEWQUERY=True&NODE=365&ORD=ASC&ORDERBY=&QUANTITY=10&RECENT=0&REFINE=&SEARCH_FOR=&SEARCHNODE=0&SEARCHURL=dointellisearch.cfm&SECONDPRICE=999999&SHOWCASEID=&STARTROW=1&SUBS=&WORD_SEARCH=N&">click here</a> ....however it is now 62 GBP which is probably not good value if you are buying it from the USA.<div>00Enza-27430584.jpg.f523329c772556ae3ecc327dcc7b31e2.jpg</div>

Hi Melanie , I have a Seconic free if you like just shipping costs.

The meter is accurate very easy to use has incident and since its Selenium no batterie. It measures 70mm x 45mm x 25mm solid metal case

comes with chain and leather case and even the original box. Do not underestimate these old meters I still use my old Gossen Sixtomat when the new one has flat batteries. Mail if intersted.

20 years ago I started with a Gossen Bisix 2, a selenium meter which at least fitted into my slacks' frontpocket. It's range was sufficient for handheld photography. At night, with a tripod the by far more sensitive battery operated meters are of course desireable.

If you have money, get something with a flash metering option! - You won't regret it in the long run although it might sound a bit strange now. The Gossen Digiflash is just 28 Euro (less than 20%!) above the Digisix - what else would you need?

O.K. maybe you aren't dreaming of a studio yet, but if you have some flashmeter you can put some really inexpensive flashes in the corners of a room, to bounce them via walls or ceiling and do really good looking environmental portraits.

I'm happy with the L-208 (as in Trevor's second picture). I especially like that the meter holds the reading for several seconds after you release the button, so that you don't have to point it and read it at the same time. I also like the convenient incident light feature.

It weighs nearly nothing, and meters in low enough light for most situations where I think I can hand-hold an M3. That covers a lot of indoor available light stuff. If it were about half as thick, it would be practically perfect.