5D AF and Sigma Lens

papuan_photo

I need to buy a new telephoto lens in a short time, but I want to buy

a lens that will work correctly with my next DLSR (I will buy an EOS

5D camera on January).

Since now, I can't decide between Sigma 100-300 F4 + TC1.4x and Sigma

50-500 F4-6.3

I like the Bigma (50-500) but it will work with the 5D AF ?

Puppy Face is far too pessimistic. I have yet to encounter any report of a current Sigma lens not working with a 5D. Wait, there was one that alleged a problem from a first time poster here on his first use of an EOS camera - seemed like he didn't understand how to operate the camera in M mode (he was complaining he couldn't adjust the aperture in M, although he could in Av, and he only had 1 lens).

OTOH the fact that the EX lenses now seem to be based on upgradeable firmware, and that you typically get a much longer warranty with them than with Canon should give you confidence for the future. Personally, I'd go with the extra image quality of the 100-300, but if reach and flexibility is your priority the Bigma is unmatched.

>> I have yet to encounter any report of a current Sigma lens not working with a 5D<<

Obviosuly you haven't done a search of this forum.

Just a week or so ago there was a fellow in the UK who bought a 5D and was loaned Sigma lenses from the store (while awaiting for his 24-70L and other glass he had ordered). NONE of them worked on the 5D! They may have been older models perhaps but, the point is real.

I don't think Puppy Face is being anything other than realistic: there is NOT guarantee that any 3rd party lens works with of the camera made today. Most of them work fine but, not all.

I think you all are wrong and all are sort of right. <p>

Basic premise: Mr. Photo is going to buy a NEW Sigma lens. Mr. Photo ensures (informs) to the retailer that the new Sigma lens will work with his 5D. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? Rechipping a new lens means "Forget it! --Sigma does't care about me!"

<p>

In any case I hope Mr. Photo can manually focus well as these lenses are too slow for a good accurate AF.

Giampi - I did read the thread in question (and even contributed to it, as well as mentioning it in my post above). I also searched several other forums for evidence of problems without turning up anything. The poster borrowed ONE lens (not several) - a 17-35. It was entirely evident that the 5D was his first Canon DSLR (and possibly his first AF SLR of any type); he didn't know how to adjust aperture in M mode, and I suspect had equally little understanding of what to expect when focussing with an ultra-wide angle lens where the DOF related focus accuracy of the body produces a wide range of "acceptable" focus distances (he was complaining on the basis of the focus distance readout on the lens compared with his estimate of the actual distance to the subject, failing to recognise that e.g. at 17mm wide open (f/2.8), beyond a few feet focus distance everything is within DOF, and even if the high precision mode of the centre point is used, 1/3 DOF limits are still huge). I placed no credence in his report. At best, it's possible that he had a poor copy of the lens, which is not one of Sigma's best in any case.

So far as AF speed is concerned, the 100-300 focusses almost as fast as Canon's 300 f/4 L IS - nothing to complain about. The Bigma also can focus fairly rapidly, although the smaller apertures do limit performance when compared with a faster lens. Both these lenses have Sigma's HSM ultrasonic focus motors.

Here is a positive confirmation of operation of several Sigma lenses, including the Bigma, with a 5D, which I place much more credence in:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=15276052

<i>"So far as AF speed is concerned, the 100-300 focusses almost as fast as Canon's 300 f/4 L IS - nothing to complain about"</i>

<p>

Really? Even with the 1.4X TC? I doubt it. But I can only surmise as a 1.4 TC plus a Sigma f4 zoom lens means autofocus will be slow and not often that accurate.

<i>"So far as AF speed is concerned, the 100-300 focusses almost as fast as Canon's 300 f/4 L IS - nothing to complain about"</i>

<p>

Really? Even with the 1.4X TC? I doubt it. But I can only surmise as a 1.4 TC plus a Sigma f4 zoom lens means autofocus will be slow and not often that accurate. Good luck!

<i>"So far as AF speed is concerned, the 100-300 focusses almost as fast as Canon's 300 f/4 L IS - nothing to complain about"

<br><br>

Really? Even with the 1.4X TC? I doubt it.</i>

<br><br>

Really Really. I have the Sigma and its matchin 1.4 APO TC. It focuses as fast as my 85/1.8 USM and 24-70L, with or without the TC. It's also dead accurate. Really accurate.

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm, Ken ?

Here in Oz we usually have a soft spot for the underdog, but I am trying to be as objective as possible (hey, I have 6 Canon lenses - 4 of them 'L', and two Sigmas, so you can't accuse me of being biased).

If I seriously thought that the Sigmas do not measure up - I would replace them with Canon equivalents.