OT: Goting to DC for a few days

mattalofs

I'm going to be in Washington DC for a few days starting tomorrow.

Anybody got suggestions for favorite things to see? I figured I'd

hit some of the big museums, but if folks have suggestions for

interesting things to see, I'd appreciate it. I won't have a car, so

things near metro lines would be preferable.

The changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington

cemetery is something that must not be missed. It will be something you will

never forget. Depending on the time of year it happens every 20 mins- 30

mins and goes on 24/7/365. Also make sure to visit the National Archives and

see the actual constitution and Magna Carta.

I'll weigh in w/my standard advice: Depends on what you like to photograph. There is much more to the city than the White House, Capitol, Smithsonian museums, etc. (not that there's anything wrong w/them if you've never seen them before). If you want to see the non-touristy, non-Federal gov't aspects of DC, I suggest visiting the neighborhoods of the city like Adams-Morgan, Capitol Hill, or the ever-popular-with-tourists Georgetown (which is less touristy once you get away from the commercial areas along Wisconsin Ave. & M St.).

Rather than reinvent the wheel, here are some old p.net threads where I gave some recommendations:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=008u6t

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003qgR

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=001aTm

Have a great trip & enjoy your visit. I live & work in the city, so feel free to drop me a line if you have specific questions.

The National Gallery of Art! The older building is Greco-Roman in style and execution - and the single DaVinci is quite beautiful. There are small atriums with fountains on both sides of the central building.

Then head toward the IM Pei addition - it's quite impressive in and of itself, and there is always some huge excellent exhibit there. Make sure you walk toward the street while looking at the corner on your left - the acute angle is both unexpected and strangely fascinating.

It's one of my favorite places in DC.

The national cathedral is also interesting - as is the so-called national zoo.

I like the Capitol building, it's a longer visit, but the history and itメs importance today (maybe

you even see a session in progress) makes up for it (Check their website for security tips).

And my favorite museum is the Holocaust Museum, one of the best exhibits Iメve ever seen.

And on the photo side: Lincoln Memorial, Architecture along Pennsylvania ave. (And a little

left and right) and Georgetown for dinner (Forget anything around the mall).

have fun

"I figured I'd hit some of the big museums, but if folks have suggestions for interesting things to see, I'd appreciate it. I won't have a car, so things near metro lines would be preferable."

It isn't clear but it sounds like this might be your first time in DC? Museums are great for sure, but there are other landmarks in and around that are must-sees if you haven't already. Like the White House, Capitol, Washington and Lincoln monuments, the Vietnam war memorial wall and Korean war memorial, all of which are within an easy walk of one another. A bit farther away there are the Jefferson memorial, and Arlington Cemetery (which includes JFK & RFK's gravesites and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier).

There's a "Hop On Hop Off" sightseeing bus service that makes a continuous loop of all those sights, plus Georgetown, where you buy a ticket that's good for the day (or perhaps longer ones)and can get off at any location and stay as long as you want and then just catch the next shuttle whenever you want.

matt, i wish i could invite you for a cup of java and a chat, however, i'm in seattle all week.

chris provided you with some good links, however, you may want to add:

- Govinda Gallery (as Jati said) and do Georgetown while you are at it. Perhaps go down to K street under the Key Bridge for some scenic shots.

- National Geographic (is it around M street and 17th? you can easily find that out on the web)

- Katarina Ewing Gallery on Dupont Circle (afternoon open hours, I think)

- Neighborhoods of Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan (18th St)

- National Cathedral is great, depending on your tastes (and head down Wis Ave a couple of blocks to "Two Amys" at 3715 MacOmb St NW, Washington, DC 20016 - best pizza in town! :-) )

- Arlington Cem. is definitely worth a visit

Have a great visit!

Matt,

Arlington Cemetery generally is a wonderful place and also a great place to take photos - esp. near sunset. Don't skip the tour of Robert E. Lee's house.

I wouldn't go to DC without stopping by Thomas Sweet Ice Cream in Georgetown. Get sweet cream ice cream with strawberries & bananas blended in - you'll thank me. I also highly recommend Meskerem Ethiopian Restaurant, and Nirvana Vegetarian Indian Cuisine.

The FDR memorial is memorable, and the new WWII memorial is, well, monumental - and photogenic esp. with a wide-angle.

The Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian disappointed me a bit, but it has the best food (authentic Native American cuisine) of any museum in the city.

The precious stones collection at the Museum of Natural History is great too.

If you're willing to take a bit of a trip and can arrange a tour, the Naval Academy in Annapolis is very interesting. Closer to home, the Naval Observatory is an interesting tour; the Vice President's residence is on the grounds.

Another great value in photogenic and generally amazing places in the DC area is the Civil War battlefields - Manassas is very close and a good choice; further afield, Chancellorsville and Fredericksburg are also very good.

If you try to photograph near FBI headquarters, you'll get stopped and told to move along. I imagine the same is true near Embassy Row.

Be careful photographing on the street at night, and in city parks generally. It's not a combat zone, as some think - but you need to be situationally aware.

"Dont go. Washington is probably the worst capital city in the world. Nothing of interest and it will be freezing."

This is just a bunch of nonsense. There is plenty to do and see and photograph, including museums (eg., Smithsonian, Einstein Spacearium, Natl Gallery etc.), monuments mentioned above, national zoo, Arlington National cemetary, tours of various government buildings, etc. etc. A number of these are free to the public. There is an awful lot of history in DC. How anyone can think there is nothing of interest is beyond me.

<i> Stuart was just kiddin' around. He probably had a great time in D.C</i>

<p>

Thank you Michael. I should use the smiley characters more often but they seem so obvious.

<p>

D.C is a fine city and a great time can be had there by all. I have particuarly vivid memories as

I caught one of those STDs that are terribly difficult to spell but, thankfully, very easy to cure,