Nikon Coolscan LS-50 / DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II... same same but different?

Try looking up the Wolf Faust IT8 targets- I've been happy with them for getting consistent color from slides. Vuescan can make reasonably good profiles from the targets with little effort on your part.

I have about 1.2 gigs of RAM on my Dell laptop and sometimes do simple photo editing while scanning. More intensive tasks do cause my scanner to pause.

You might also want to try removing as many programs as you can from your start menu (AOL IM, etc) to free up resources for scanning.

I'm pretty sure it's not a resource problem...

Just had a hang (after 15 successful scans - a record!) with the task manager open.

NikonScan leaps to 99% CPU and stays there for a while then drops off to idle. 119 Megs virtual memory used by NikonScan and 83 megs actual. Not a lot. Several gigs free on each harddrive.

I'd just tried upgrading the BIOS and VIA chipset drivers on the Acer in the hope that'll help. Evidently not.

In the meantime I've ordered an IT8 target.. thanks for the tip.

You have the latest NikonScan version, right?

Next, maybe use a program like Spybot-Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) to remove uncessary programs in the start up menu that could be interfering with the scanner as it operates. Spybot is nice because it's free and gives descriptions of some programs that boot with Windows that have cryptic names.

Yep using NikonScan 4.02, and Spybot is part of my normal routine.

In a slightly unexpected turn Nikon got back to me suddenly changing tack and asking for the SysInfo from my laptop and which USB chipset it has... so sounds like they're one the right lines looking for incompatabilities.

Cheers again.

• 1 month later...

Dave,

It's been more than a month since the last post in this thread and I'm wondering how you resolved your Coolscan V issues. From what you've written it sounds similar to a problem I had with my laptop. In my case, I could only use one USB device. Anytime I plugged in a second, all hell broke loose. My Coolscan by itself functioned so bad I was ready to send it back. My problem turned out to be a USB driver corruption issue. I resolved it by uninstalling all of the USB drivers and re-booting Win XP and letting it re-install the drivers fresh. It totally cleared up the problems I was having.

Right now I'm having another problem with the Coolscan V that I'm putting in another thread.