prices leica lenses 30% higher

I saw that prices of almost all new Leica lenses suddenly have gone extremely higher (30%!) -

than they already were. Example: summicron asf. 35 mm M was one month ago 1500 euro,

now 2000 euro. What's the policy behind this? Because there is a Leica clan that will pay any

price? Do they think this will not have substantialle consequences for the sales? Or is it just a

simple way of getting nesseccary more earnings? Can anyone explain this marketing

strategy? Or is it not a marketing strategy at all but just a desperate step?

A. Vondeling, Holland.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem that they are prepared to take a chance that their die-hard supporters ( and the big-wallet collectors ) will continue to cough up the asking price.

Perhaps they feel that they are down to the hardcore Leicaphiles and given the fairly parlous financial state of Leica it may just be a reasonable gamble - trade off between say losing a few more customers for a one-third increase in turnover.

However trying to guess what Leica is up to is pretty similar to asking the lady with the crystal ball.

I believe they are counting on fools like me who believe (true or not) their products' quality is worth the price asked. I put off owning Leica stuff for years because I could not afford it. I regret my prudence now because I enjoy the products so much and wish I had more time to fondle, drool over and use Leica RFs and their overpriced lenses.

They typically announce price increases several months in advance so you can bellly up to the bar at (haha) pre-increase prices. I've only bought 1 Leica lens and 1 body new in 37 years...the rest have been used...well worth the negotiated prices. At current levels for new gear, no v(f)ondeling.

(a) Stop all that crap about fooling around with his name, even if he <i>is</i> a troll.

<p>(b) At least here in Germany (itself) there have <i>always</i> been price increases. Once every spring, and then again every fall. Whether you like it or not. That is the reason that any old <i>real</i> Leica "member" would never, ever, buy a brand new Leica product from a store. You can always buy it second hand (e.g. via eBay or elsewhere here) at a fraction of the price....

I agree with Michael. Don't assume every new-comer is a troll or a reincarnation of another. Even "Hero" posters, having been banned have come back with a new pen name/personna (sp?). Just ask yourself, when you first started, did you get the troll treatment? Some would have the forum turned into a "bridge club/old mans network".

As for the original post: It's the Euro going fron 0.8USD to 1.31USD within two-years. At present, Leicas sell for less $$$ in the US than Euros in Europe, disregarding exchage rates.

Have any of you invested in or followed futures of markets? If you are getting mail from AARP like I am and have owned Leica for at least 30 years like me you can bet that our days of buying new gear is comming to an end soon. We will use what we have and buy used and save money as we plan for retirement. And If you are reading this and have been retired for many years bless you and good shooting.

All I know is eventually we are all forced by human lifecycle to stop doing things like driving a car or entering marathon races. When we do we usually sell our now idle possesions and since us Leica owners are a mature breed I expect a lot of gear to eventually come onto the used market. And digital cameras probably will cause some to sell sooner so Leica has a hard sell into this environment unless they can get some digital products to market while we are still in the buying mode for expensive gear.

Hi Albert, In the US, the price increases take place four times a year, usually at the start of every calendar quarter, and are in the 3-5% range. The 2000 Euro price you quoted sounds far too high, unless you were looking at a limited edition lens. Could you let us know where you saw such a price, and send the URL link as well. Thanks.

PS. Sending the link will also clear up all the nonsense people have been writing about your good name.