Leica M6 is so BIG

jim_simmons

OK, I'm really just being a smartass here, but here goes. Today I

was in my local pro photo shop picking up some film, but couldn't

help ogling the glass cases. They had a new M6 and a new Barnack 0.

I use a CL and used to own a IIIf. I've used M2, M3, and M4 cameras

quite a bit also. So it was a shock to see how huge the M6 was in

comparison to the CL and the O. Caught me by surprise. Not a

criticism, as I have a Leicaflex SL also, but still... Makes me

realize what a great stealth camera the CL is. It even looks like a

P&S by comparison.

<b>They had a new M6 and a new Barnack 0.</b></p> M6 out of production since the late 1990s, O series since what, 2001? Not surprising that Leica is faltering. </p> <b>it was a shock to see how huge the M6 was in comparison to the CL </b></p> Imagine how people felt seeing the M5 alongside the CL when both were contemporary.

"The M6 .72 (non-TTL) is alive and being manufactured along with the M7."

--Are you sure? I recall an article in which a Leica spokeperson told the interviewer that there wasn't enough room for the M6 in between the MP and M7, so they were dropping it. Of course, the MP is like an M6 non-TTL. With the rapid rewind crank option, a flare-ready finder, plastic-tipped wind lever, and a red dot, it can be an M6.

No, Jim doesn't have an M6, regardless of size.

And, gang, my OTHER camera is a 4x5 monorail, so it's not like I'm afraid of a he-man camera. It just surprised me to see an M6 and an 0 next to a whole host of other 35mm cameras and see that the M6 wasn't all THAT much smaller, and that the Barnack was indeed a much smaller camera. Donald's picture says it all.

I spent a summer shooting a Minolta 16, and that was fun, but the prints made from 16mm film developed in hot Arkansas developer were the grainiest things you ever saw!

And yeah, I was considering a Rollei 35 for a half-second when I got my CL, but that was no contest. One, the Rollei was a tad too small for my big hands, and two, of course, no interchangeable lenses.

And yeah, when I bought the CL, it was in 1975 and it sat there next to an M5. That was no contest, either, but mostly from a pocketbook point of view.

I went through many of the classic point and shoot rangefinders like the Olympus XA, Canonet, Rollei 35, and found that the amazing thing about the CL is that its exactly the size of the Canonet but with interchangable lenses, among other things. I was fairly obsessed about compact size for a carry all the time camera. Still, once I started shooting the M6, it was clear that its slight increase in size was worth it. These other cameras are still neat and useful, particularly the Rollei 35, but in any given situation, I tend to pick the M6.

I love my M6 as well but if you can live with a fixed lens (I can) and can get a grip on scale focusing, you'll wonder why any camera was ever bigger than the Rollei/Petri. And if you do like the Rollei, ergonomic nightmare that it is, then you'll absolutely love the Petri.<div>00ERhB-26873184.JPG.d0e6b4f1f9290ff465a5045a384c66af.JPG</div>

You want small? You want Form Factor? You want Titanium Body and Synthetic Sapphire shutter button? You want Quiet? You want Exposure control, Manual or Auto Focus? You want to rewind the roll early?

Consider the Contax T2.

I can forward a couple of JPEGs if you want to see what it can do.

How a lens the size of a marble can do what it dows is still beyond me...

Regards,

Bob in Seattle