Saw a zeiss ikon today

I saw and handled a zeiss ikon with the 35 f2 biogon attached today.

It seemed a nice camera lovely bright veiwfinder and the build

quality initially felt quite good but the film advance felt very

flimsy and the back door was VERY flimsy.

The lens seemed very nice though.

Just thought I'd share this with you in case anyone is interested.

Anyway hope you are all well.

Regards Graham.

One common remark I've read on the ZI seems to be that the film advance feels flimsy or it's difficult to tell any resistance when the film is being advanced through the camera. I wonder if Zeiss has a slightly wider film channel than Leica's 0.20 mm which might have an impact on resistance tension on advance and rewind actions as the film moves through the camera. My CLE's film channel depth measures 0.24 mm and film advance and rewind feel less resistant going through the camera but the slightly shorter length of the rails of this compact camera probably make a difference as well.

Dear Graham,

I'm just returning a ZI to Zeiss after my wife (Frances Schultz) and I put some 15-20 rolls through it while reviewing it for Shutterbug (USA)and Black & White (UK). I'll certainly second your comments about the viewfinder -- possibly even better, I think, than current Leicas -- but I'm surprised at your comment about the back: I saw no problem. As for the wind-on, I've found that it feels a lot better once there's film in there.

The body acquired a few scratches in a 1200-mile round trip to Spain by Land Rover, but nothing serious -- just 'character marks' -- and lenses and body behaved excellently.

The results are delightful though I've not tried all the lenses, only 15/2.8, 21/2.8, 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2 and 50/2. I really like the 'hump' on the focusing ring of the Japanese-made lenses (absent on the 15mm) and am planning to modify my 35/1.7 Ultron with something similar.

I'd still rather have an MP, but then, I've been using M-series Leicas for 30 years and I much prefer the 'traffic light' meter of the MP (and older Voigtlanders) to the shutter-speed display of the ZI/current Voigtlanders. If it came to a choice between an older, unmetered Leica and a ZI, the ZI is probably better unless you're worried about battery dependency or unless you're a tradition addict.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- and the back page of Amateur Photographer magazine)

All this is very useful. I am seriously thinking of getting the ZI in black. It is everyone's CLE II fantasy answered.

Yes, that Zeiss bump or lump on the focusing ring. I was not enthused about it at first on my 25/2.8, but it grows on you. The good thing is that the focusing ring is so well oiled that it is just stiff enough and yet loose enough to work well with the bump and a Rapidwinder. The best way I found of getting the most out of the bump it to push-pull it with the index finger. It gets easier with extended use.

I just received my Zeiss Ikon with a 28mm Biogon this past Monday. What some others call "flimsy" with regard to the advance lever, I think of as "silky-smooth". It's the best feeling lever advance action I have ever used I don't see the door as being flimsy either. I think the rangefinder view is the best I have seen. The camera is built lighter than a Leica M7 or MP, about 400 grams as against 600 grams for Leica, I would hardly call it flimsy. The body is a solid aluminum investment casting and the top and bottom plates are magnesium. The whole package appears rugged enough and handling is excellent. The shutter is quiet and crisp sounding. The 28mm lens has flawless finish and smooth focusing and diaphragm action with positive 1/3 stop clicks. I have yet to process the roll in the camera, so no report on lens performance to date, but I fully expect it to be great. I am still one of those luddites who doesn't trust gear that is totally dependent on batteries, so I'm glad to have my MP as backup, but the ZI is a joy to handle and functions flawlessly, so far. Oh, by the way, it's easier to load than my MP and I don't worry about dropping or losing the bottom! Best regards, Bill

I may just have to try one of these ZI's. The eyerelief and viewfinder sound very appealing. Is three film cameras one too many?

But w/o a doubt, Leica's latest offerings in lenses (e.g., 50mm Summilux ASPH, 75mm Summicron ASPH, ect.) smash any of the ZI lenses; albeit at a hefty price.