Novar versus Agnar Lenses

I'm a black-and-white photographer working in both medium and large

format. One of my collecting interests is folding MF rangerfinders.

I have two Agfa 6x9s, each with Agfa "Agnar" f/6.3 lenses. I also

have two Ikontas, one a 6x6 and one a 6x9, each with "Novar" lenses,

one an f/3.5 (the 6x6) and one an f/4.5 (the 6x9).

I'm amazed at how sharp the "Agnar" lenses are, especially as I

assume that they are triplets. Can anyone tell me anything about

either the Agnars or the Novars, in terms of formula or anything

else?

Thanks,

Paul

Both the Agnar and the Novar are triplets, their cross-section looks very similar. The Agnar lenses had a successor, the Apotar lenses, a re-designed version of the 1950s using new optical glasses (but Agfa still made some cameras with Agnar lenses after releasing the Apotar).

There is not much known about re-designs of the Novar lenses. Most, if not all, post-war Novars were NOT manufactured by Zeiss but by Hensoldt and Rodenstock (there are even rumours that some of the non-Zeiss Novars had four elements). Maybe that's the reason why all post-war Novars I have seen do not have a serial number - pre-war ones are numbered and year of manufacturing can easily be determined.

The Novar is not that bad, either. I think most complaints about bad performance are caused by misadjustment - almost any old folding camera I have needed more or less readjustment. I once compared a pre-war 3,5/70mm Novar against a pre-war 3,5/75mm Xenar (four-element Tessar design) and found that the Xenar was not much better (but the post-war Xenars are very nice performers).

BTW if you are a triplet fan you should try a camera with a Meyer-Goerlitz Trioplan lens. The Trioplan is probably the best triplet lenses I ever came across.

No, Charles, the Voigtländer Heliar and Apo-Lanthar (both five-element lenses) are the most expensive folder lenses. I can't remember which of the many Bessa folders sport these, but with the Apo-Lanthar the price will be indeed <i>astronomical</i>! The Solinar is pretty expensive for a four-element lens, but it is usually found on the rare high-end Agfa folders, especially the Super Isolette with a coupled rangefinder, which explains their value to collectors.

The Agfa Solinar can also be found on Isolette III's (with non-coupled rangefinder and without automatic framespacing). It seems to be a very nice lens.

I do not own a Heliar-equipped camera but it seems that you have to like the performance of this lens... even in a textbook about german camera optics (Das Auge Deiner Kamera) it is stated that this lens gives sharp details with a certain amount of flare. Also it seems to loose much of the detail rendering for details out of focus.

Many lenses of the 1940s and 1950s seem to perform similar, I found the Color-Skopar pretty sharp but also with a certain amount of gloom. The Xenons on the Kodak Retinas have much less gloom but it is still noticeable.

Bueh, I think Charles meant Agfa lenses. Solinar was their best lens on 6x9 and 6x6 folders, but they had a six element lens on some 35mm folders. Solagon 2/50 I believe.

I have an Agfa Record II with Solinar and new bellows. Very sharp lens, just as the Tessar. I have another coated Solinar from a "kaputt" Record II that I will mount in a shutter/camera someday.

I don't think the five element Heliar is sharper than the tessar-type, but it has other qualities. I have never seen twodimensional photos look that close to 3D like the ones taken with a true Heliar lens.

The Apo-Lanthar is a Heliar with lanthanum-glass.

The Agfa Apotar also contain rare-earth mineral glass, and is little more expensive than the Agnar. They are both three element lenses.

"I have never seen twodimensional photos look that close to 3D like the ones taken with a true Heliar lens."

This seems to be a property of quite a few (german) lenses of the 40s and 50s. I do not own a Heliar, but I have read that it has very nice detail rendering, together with a certain amount of flare which makes things look a bit supernatural. It seems a similar property applies to the Color-Skopar lens. I could not easily decide whether some shots were sharp or not, due to the flare around contours. The Xenons on the post-war Retinas seem a bit similar (although with less of that flare), an old Retina user told me that many of his shots look 3-dimensional, too. I cannot say that about most of my shots but the results are very nice, maybe they are not perfectly sharp as with a modern high-end lens but they have a special look I miss with many other lenses.