Looking for a cheaper full frame DSLR body

peter_ho1

Either the superwide lenses mentioned or a used Kodak DCS SLR-n or -c (depending on your lenses and plans) for under $2000 USD. A used 1Ds is also possible and they are already going for less than a 5D and I suspect they'll take even more of a hit in the new year as more pros go with the 5D. Good luck.

You wanna shoot full frame on the cheap and can't stand cropped bodies? Buy yourself an Elan 7N, some Velvia film and a first rate scanner. Maybe you'll be able to shoot some landscapes half as good as these:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=538298&include=all

Otherwise, just keep sitting on that fence. Maybe someday you'll be able to buy a full frame digital SLR for under $1,000. My guess is, it'll be later rather than sooner. How long are you willing to wait?

I don't think Canon will be producing a cheap FF sensor body in the very near future. They

just came out with the 5D. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot to produce a cheap

one so soon after. That said, a used 1Ds can be had for around $2500 and sometimes

cheaper if you look. FF, 1-series body and 11.1 MP for $800 less than a new 5D. The high

ISO won't be as good but you've got a great camera to play with. I went that route because I

saw a used 1Ds for a price I couldn't pass up. After using it for a little while I find that the

build quality is head and shoulders above the 5D. I played with a 5D for a little while on

Friday and it seemed to be very "plasticky" in comparison to the 1Ds. That said, you can get

a good wide angle lens for your camera without the need for full frame.

"I don't think Canon will be producing a cheap FF sensor body in the very near future. They just came out with the 5D. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot to produce a cheap one so soon after."

It's the market that dictates if Canon will be foreced to manufacture cheaper alternatives to the full frame DSLR. By market, I mean the competition- for example if Kodak(the largest seller of digital cameras)came with a $1500 version DSLR, then the 5D will be left in the dust. Also, we are talking about electronics, which are bound to go down in prices. Semiconductor manufacturers are producing better and cheaper full frame sensors as we speak. DSLRs are relativley new- so the prices are bit high right now- just like the personal computers were, when they came out.

Comparing a potential increase in dslr sensor size to the rapid growth of computing power that we have seen over recent years is incorrect. Simply, computers have got faster by fitting more and smaller components on the same size die rather than using a bigger chip. Exactly what has happened with consumer digicams. The RnD required to fit more stuff on a chip is a lot less than that required to make a bigger chip for the same money. The 20D's successor will definitely be aps-c. The next one down the line (in 3yrs time) might well be full frame but that's quite a while to wait...

Chris

If you are disappointed by soft corners, etc. of some of the ultra-wide angle zooms (e.g. 10-22 EFS), don't forget DxO Optics Pro.

I recently added a 17-85 EFS to my battery of lenses, replacing the original 18-55mm EFS kit lens that came with my Digital Rebel (now recently upgraded to a 20D).

Some initial wide-angle (17mm) shots had some noticeable pin-cushioning and chromatic aberration. I ran the RAW file through DxO, which can now produce a DNG, leaving further RAW processing for ACR, and it cleaned it right up, including sharpening the soft focus in the corners in the image, as well.

Of course, no amount of post-processing is better than starting with a excellent capture in the first place, but DxO certainly levels the playing field, particularly if you trade off the expense of that software vs. buying a several thousand dollar FF body.

I intend to have as much fun with my newly-acquired 20D as I had with my Digital Rebel, and let FF prices continue drop over the next couple of years, before I need consider upgrading again. I may even keep the 20D, or a similar cropped-body in reserve, for the extra 'reach' it provides on the telephoto end. It certainly does a nice job of bringing 8+ low-noise MP to bear on that 1.6x cropped sensor area, indeed.