Question about VR lens

fuzzybud

If a certain photo situation dictates a shutter priorty setting of

500 f/1.8. But the VR lens widest opening is 3.5. How would I take

advantage of the 3 or 4 stops more I have to work with because of the

VR? Does the lens compensate and adjust automatically? Thanks for

your reply.

Brendan

Well, in this case you'd probably get underexposed pics.

VR helps you by reducing camera shake. That's all it does. This means that you can take a 200 mm lens and take reasonably sharp hand-held pics at 1/100 s or even lower. It does improve the sharpness of pictures in these situations tremendously.

However, VR doesn't stop motion so if that's why you need a 1/500 s exposure time, VR won't help. It will help hand-hold at a slower speed so you get more depth of field.

VR lenses provide 2 or 3 "stops" advantage over non-VR lenses, meaning the VR will steady the image at slower shutter speeds. In "photo speak", stops can mean either aperture or shutter speed because changing them in concert produces the same exposure - called the "reciprocity law."

Vibration reduction, in theory! I sold my 80-200mm AFD lens, bought the 70-200mm AFD-

VR. No noticeable difference really, nice lens though! I had a couple of situations with the

80-200mm where I needed to shoot in low light, had to shoot at slow speeds and just

tossed out the bad ones, I had hoped the VR would be a giant leap forward here, but I don't

really think it gives me the same sharp images at 3 stops slower. It does focus quicker and

works well with SB800.