Panasonic Lumix FX8 - LCD screen broken

Hi,

I had my FX9 all of one day and the screen broke. I bought the camera from Abes of Maine but didn't bother contacting them when it broke as I didnt expect them to say much other than call Panasonic. So, I called Panasonic and they told me to call Bigson in Illinois which I did, I was then told to end the camera so they could establish if it was damaged due to lack of care or wear and tear etc (I tried to explain it was only a day old) anyway, sent the camera off and never heard from anyone again and yesterday the camera turned up repaired with a notw of exactly what has been replaced. I am probably going to sell teh camera now as i'm too concerned this will happen again and certainly will not buy another panasonic.

Another note, I am a UK citizen but bought the camera through my gf who lives in the states so I called panasonic USA (I was on vacation over there) so will sell the camera in the UK to hopefully get more money for it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I purchased yet another part from Panasonic, but this one required some soldering. When all was said and done, the camera works fine if I don't use the flash, but if the flash mode is set, it continually resets, with the lens retracting and extending continuously. I don't know if my soldering wasn't quite right or there is something else wrong with another of the boards (the new LCD, though, works just fine!). Also, the "slow picture" indicator just stays on, even when using a very fast shutter time.

I'm going to play with is some more, but if anyone out there has an FX-9 with a cracked LCD that they have decided to abandon and want to sell it to me cheap, I think that may be the best way to get the parts I need to finally fix mine. email me if you are interested. -John

I have a LUMIX LX1 - slightly bumped it and the screen cracked. Love the camera though.

So far no one else has one out that does what I want - so I'll pay to repair it as the slgiht

bump did cause a slight indent on the case just above the screen. Nevertheless - after closely

examining the camera - it is obvious it's made cheaply / poor construction / glass right up

against the metal case. Perhaps Panasonic never expected them to be so popular? Or perhaps

they simply farmed out the labor on putting them together to the cheapest bidder in Taiwan?

At any rate - I'll repair mine and be much more careful with it in the future - but I'll buy the

first OTHER BRAND camera that can out shoot it!

FX9 camera finally arrived back to UK yesterday from Bigston Corporation Elk Grove Village Illinois wrapped up in double carboard boxes weighing 2lb (Mostly insulating material and bubble wrap) and measuring (Outside Box) 14" by 8.5" by 8.5" obviously no risks taken by Bigston on their delicate replacement LCD.

Bowed LCD casing has not been replaced as recommended by Panasonic's UK Service Centre so have now asked for assurances from Bigston that this was unnecessary and would not effect new LCD.

Word of warning as some bright spark at Bigston attached a sales Invoice for 350 USD to the outside of the parcel addressed to me for a DMC LZ2 camera I spent 7 days persuading UK authorities (Including faxing out Outbound Tracking Numbers etc.) not to charge me

51.92 Pounds in UK Value Added Tax.

It's taken an inordinate time and effort to get thus far and many thanks to all the valuable contributions from the originating and contributing members of this forum whose combined contributions are slowly starting to have an effect in certain Worldwide High End Panasonic Offices.

Keeping fingers crossed that the new LCD behaves itself for the expected normal life of this camera, my previous Olympus Digital Camera with smaller LCD has now been working without problem for over five years.

Once again many thanks to all Forum Members keep up the good work and don't give up.

Alan Robb Gibson<div>00FwFg-29271784.thumb.JPG.c77be7a817ee2b102b5271c29958bcc3.JPG</div>

Tim

I love site, but can I ask a few questions?

Do you live in the US or do you live in the UK?

It sounds like most of the people here live outside of the US.

I had my camera fixed by Panasonic without any trouble.

I know someone that lived outside of the US and panasonic will not ship outside of the the US, they had to give them a US address.

Have you heard anything back from Pano UK? Do they still have your camera? It is great that they want to look at your camera to see what is going on with them.

I hope you don't mind me asking all these questions

Thanks,

Debbie

Hi I have the same problem! ! !identical pictures to the above.. I bought my camera in Hong

Kong last August, but I'm currently in London, I always have it in the ORIGINAL leather case

and today when I took it out I just realized this problem on the screen! ! ! Do you mind telling

me what I should do? is there a person you contacted previously in Panasonic UK who

understands the problem and can deal with my case directly? Your help would be really

appreciated...thank you very much

I used my broken FX8 on a trip to Brasil. I just switch to automatic Mode and aim to the Object. :} <br>

<b>I found that it only was working occasionally!</b>

<br>

When switching it on sometimes nothing happend. Sometimes the tube from the optical system was driven out and in several times. Somtimes it hang up and i had to do a "remove and put back" cycle withe batteries many times.<br>

Maybe this is related to the broken screen as<br>

>> John Graham , apr 03, 2006; 01:14 p.m.<br>

reports similar behavior.<br>

<b>But i could not reproduce this behavior back in cold Germany one single time!</b>

Hello All,

I have bad news for those that are as sure as I still am about our innoncence regarding the self-cracking of the FX-X Panasonic cameras' LCD due to a manufacturing defect.

I have today been confirmed by www.rebelio.com -after a longer than wished delay- that the Panasonic technical support center of Barcelona that took care of my camera has decided that I have to pay 150 Eur for something that I am sure is not my fault.

It seems really incredible to me that after all the evidences contained in this page -and all those still coming- that someone can still believe that we all have some "magical" that makes us all hit the camera's LCD always in the same place.

I'm personally going to take this problem directly against the Panasonic Client Support Center in Spain to show them how angry this preliminary observations have made me. I've already contacted Beltran about my intentions and hope to be able to get something out of my obstination to defend my rights to buy equipment that does not self-destruct.

Regards to all and good luck.

Well, I contacted Panasonic Spain today after talking to Francisco, and according to them my camera problem is "not covered under the terms of the warranty", as they have determined the fault "is derived from misuse and/or an accident".

Well, I don't know how Panasonic UK/US are treating this issue, but at least in Spain the answer is no.

Any hints on the matter?

I'm on the phone to Panasonic now have been told that my camera is being repaired, I don't know if I will be billed.

I was told that the issue has been raised a few times with their QA (quality assurance dept) but they have found NO KNOWN ISSUE with the screens and no design defect.

I was then told that if the screen has pressure applied to it eg, from being in a pocket of tight jeans then it will break at the weakest point and the weakest point is where these screens are breaking.

I conclude that it is therefore a design flaw to position a commonly used button right next to the weakest point of the screen.

Perhaps readers of this thread who still have working screens should consider not using this button for image browsing.

I think it is VITAL for everyone who has a broken screen in this manner to ADD THEIR PICTURES to this thread. Currently there are only 5 pictures, but many more cases with no pictures.

More as I get it.....

Hi I have a 3 month old Lumix FX9 which has an identical problem with the screen. See attached photo. Cracked in top right hand part of the screen. I contacted Panasonic UK who said they were not aware of any problem. I mentione this forum and they asked me to print it out and to send them the details with the camera when they come to collect it. I will let you know how I get on.<div>00G0zD-29376484.thumb.jpg.a8e388f8627f84133a03bf75dced7ae9.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last got my camera back after my bad experience trying to solve my problem with my Panasonic FX9 by using the provider of the camera (www.rebelio.com). As I already told you before, they took the camera to a Panasonic service where they said that I had broken it. I asked them to have my camera back without repairing.

Last week I contacted the Panasonic customer service in Spain in an effort make Panasonic aware of the problem with the camera and I instead seemed to have contacted "the customer nightmare office". They denied knowledge of Beltran's case -see before-, tried to convince me that nobody had ever told them of a problem with this camera's LCD and that Panasonic didn't need anybody to explain the problems of the camera. It was even difficult to get a fax number to have my case explained, which is what I'm going to do as soon as I can.

I attach a photo of the camera that I'd been unable to take up to now.<div>00GAWJ-29604784.JPG.93c51f05b0dc83305fb16a80401979a6.JPG</div>

Well I was thinking of buying one of these but then stumbled across this thread when looking for reviews. I emailed Panasonic and this is their response...

My email first>

I am looking at purchasing either a FX8 or FX9 Panasonic digital camera. I am a bit concerned about comments I have read though on a website http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00ENhV&tag about the durability of the screen. Is there an issue with these cameras? What sort of guarantee do I have if I purchase one and the same happens to me?

and their reply..

In order to provide you with a full response, we have taken the opportunity to consult our Technical department. They have advised that the units we have seen with damage to the LCD screens have been put down to accidental damage, and not a manufacturing defect. We are not aware of an inherent problem with the LCD Screens on the FX range of cameras.

The unit will come supplied with a twelve month manufacturing warranty for defects/faults. This warranty does not cover accidental damage or misuse of the product.

Now I cant believe for a minute that it was because ALL of you were careless with your prized possessions so I ended up buying a Casio EX-Z750 instead.

Best of luck for you folks in your quest with Panasonic.

John Piper

Well, this is the same story that occured with the Ipod two years ago and the "battery issue"

- You might have charged incorrectly

- You might have exposed to extreme cold/heat

- You might have recharged for more than 1000 times

- You might....

- You might....

- You might....

But finally they recognised their fault and changed my ipod not once but twice.

If 20 people have had their camera broken on the SAME spot....jesus....too much of a coincidence....

• 3 weeks later...

it seams very strange to me that we are all haveing the same problem.my fx8 screen cracked after just 1 week of use and i know for a fact that it was nothing i did.

these camaras must need to be wraped in cotton wool and i personaly wont be paying a cent to repair this camara.panasonic will either replace repair or refund.

i will let all know how i get on.

ben stoddart

nz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim, This is an interesting page to have found, just as I was about to buy an FX01 or LX1.

I'll still buy one of them and just hope for the best. Ironically, this purchase is a forced, albeit timely upgrade from my trusty Canon A70, as the LCD in it has given up (display is all white, no noticeable crack).

Those in the UK may like to look at the DT's Sale of Goods Act Fact Sheet at: http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/Fact%20Sheets/page24700.html

The above page clearly states that the retailer is responsible for any breach of contract, (though Panasonic really ought to grow up and show some respect to its end customers).

Any Lawyers here? Maybe the Small Claims Court is another way forward, if not with Panasonic, with the (UK) retailers.

I finally got a call from my original (helpful) contact at Panasonic on 19/05/06 to inform me that my camera has been repaired. I received it today. Repair charge-nil!

I asked if she could give me any further information but she said she has no further information regarding this case.

Previous calls led to argumentative responses from two other representatives who seemed to be giving formulated answers to my queries, the usual "screens don't just break by themselves" and "they only break under pressure which can be caused by putting it in your pocket".

The question then remains, if they insist there is no fault, why did they repair my camera free of charge? Is this an admission of a fault?

If anyone from Panasonic is reading this then thanks for resolving my individual case. But please consider that this page presents a strong case for the suggestion that the DMC-Lumix FX7/8/9 cameras have vulnerable screens prone to cracking near to the self timer/navigation button. I believe repetetive pressing of this button (which causes pressure waves across the LCD) eventually causes the screen to fail in this area. This button is used contiunously for browsing pictures on the card. I advise anyone with this camera to only browse in the forward direction using the right arrow/flash button. This will minise pressure on the screen.

I now have a Lumix LX1 (demented loyalty!) and highly endorse this as a fantastic camera.

I had the same problem last December with my FX9. I had it for two months and opened up the case one morning and the screen was cracked. I thought that there was some manufacturing defect in the camera but couldn't prove it. I ordered another camera and got a non soft case with a mesh pocket that went half way up the back of the case. I went and bought and 1/8" acriylic piece of plastic, cut it out to fit behind the mesh screen so that it was as large as the case and much larger than the screen. I have been carrying it like that for 4 months everyday to work on my belt, in a fairly hazardous space. I have come to believe that any type of contact with the screen, because it is so large, compromises the screen. the screen is actually soft and remember it is a liquid crystal screen and not a glass screen. I was fortunate that Bank of America reimbursed me the money amount that I got quoted to fix it $269,(they warranty items purchased with their credit card) but I had to submit many pages of receipts purchase documetns, billing statements , copies of my petinent insurance policy and have it all notarized. It took me a few hours to do but I got them to show me the money.

I always carry the camera with the screen towards the acrylic protector towards the back of the case. So far, so good. Hope this helps.

Hi folks. Count me among the 'walking wounded' Panasonic users...I bought an FX9 in March or April, cracked the screen last evening at a hockey game or shortly thereafter. I figure, either...

(a) the cold from the hockey rink compressed the body/frame too far,

(b)thermal shock from the 35-degree (F) variance between the rink and outside (and another 10+ inside my car) caused the body/frame to expand too rapidly, or

© some pressure from carrying the camera in my pocket later that night.

Since my LCD is shot to begin with, I press-tested the largest unbroken portion of the panel, and found that I could crack the panel by really bearing down, but didn't get the star- or fan-shaped shatter I was looking for. I also couldn't crack anything by pressing on the rigid edges of the panel's frame.

Note I also press-tested the LCD of a display model while shopping, although not as hard. I noted the LCD cover as flimsy and vulnerable to impact, but definitely didn't break it.

At this point, I'd like to replace the panel, just because I can. Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to the folks who posted the model number and experiences replacing the panel.

Hello all,

Yesterday at long last I faxed my complaint about the reliability of the FX9's LCD and about the unkindness of Panasonic's support up to now to the Customer Service of the make in Spain.

I hope to soon find out whether Panasonic really cares about their customer base in Spain or not. In case they don't, I'll keep scaling the problem till I find someone that does and of course make my experience with the make as widely known as possible.

Regards.

I have joined all these people with the same problem. A broken LCD on the right side. I

was suprised when I saw that the screen was broken. I coulndt think of what had caused it

and just figured it was from being in my pocket. I was happy to find this forum and learn

that I am not the only one with this problem.

I called the repair place in Illinois and the lady told me to just send it in and it will be fixed

under warranty.

Thanks for starting this forum.