Logo for a children's photographer

giggles

I am planning on opening my studio in the next few weeks. I have a

name but no logo. My studio's name is Giggles n Grins Photography. I

am going to shoot children's portraits only with the occasional

small family. Could someone help me with a logo to use on my sign,

business cards, gift certificates, etc? I am not very creative with

graphic design but saw a link here on PN where another photographer

asked for similar help and the results people posted were amazing.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get or direction. Thanks!

If you really get stuck why not commission a logo, for virtually nothing?

Go to www.worth1000.com and set up a corporate competition for the design of a new logo. Provide as much info as you can and then you get to choose the best one for use.

I cut my teeth on a few of these so called 'corporate' competitions, most people on there are freelancers looking for kudos, or students wanting commercial stuff for their portfolios and therefore some of the entries were far and away better than many so called professional logo designers... obviously there were also some horrible entries that completely ignored the brief ;)

You can offer a prize of membership credits ($20), and have 50 ideas to choose from.. bargain!!!

Just an idea...

Thanks David for playing with it. I like the swoping words and size - I would like to find more of a kids approach to the graphic though.

Robert - I like your idea - something fun! I am in the same boat as you - have the ideas but no way to execute them out.

James - I have never heard of something like that and will look into it. It sounds like that might be something to try. Thanks for the advice.

Emily,

I am a graphics designer and if you are interested I can sketch up a few ideas and maybe can make something happen quick. I have done logos for many companies on the side. You must remember that with such a good name you do not want to let it go to waste with a bad logo. A logo is suppose to be remembered and attract a client before they even know what the service is. Email me at Natureartist34@aol.com and we can discuss further. I am actually creating a logo right now for my photography on the side business. Email me and we can discuss

John

Maybe a straight-on photo of a camera, facing the lens, and on the glass, a nice reflection of a grinning/giggling child's portrait?

<br><br>

<a href=http://www.jamesburger.com target=ヤ_blankヤ>James Burger</a>

I am a graphic designer and a photographer and rule of thumb is not to make the

type "giggle and grin" if your words say that. It's called "see-say" and makes

designers cringe. If the name is giggles and grins then the type must not do anything.

In fact, a clean san-serifed font woudl be nice with perhaps a little icon or silouette of

children playing/laughing. Pick a nice illustration style that compliments the words.

Think Pottery Barn Kids. They use silouettes of children and the logo is classy and

smart. Don't cheapen your business with a goofy logo. I would use all lower case

lettering to make is more friendly and childlike with the illustration on top or to the

right side. Keep your colors soft and muted so that you again come across as a

credible business and not clownish. maybe the illustration is of a chil holing a

camera- maybe a vintage looking kind of drawing. Hire an illustrator to do it or buy

clipart...(yikes, did I say that?!!). Anyway, good luck and I'd be happy to review the

work when you have something! cottrilldesign@comcast.net.

David - good point! I want to market of course to the parents but I do not want to get calls for weddings, seniors, etc. I guess that is why I chose the name Giggles n Grins versus using the traditional Koch Photography. In my mind I see something simple, elegant with a hint of playfulness that isn't cutesy. Am I asking for the impossible? Probably - but since I currently have nothing and no skills or software I am not going to be picky. John has been kind enough to take time to help me out and listen to my want babble. I am anxious to see what he comes up with.

If you are a good photographer, then put one of your photographs

in your logo. Show the product you sell, not just the name.

Also, further down the road, if you want to branch out into other

segments of photography like location work, weddings,

environmental portraits, etc., then the name "Giggles and Grins"

will not be very helpful.

Perhaps you create a company like your namesake: "Koch

Photography". Then you have a satellite business for children's

photography called: "Giggles 'N Grins". Have a tag line that says

something like, "Giggles 'N Grins", from the lighter side of Koch

Photography".

BUT, if this is going to be your only marketing focus, then the

name will work. Have fun with it, but remember it is the parents

that are writing the checks, and you do have to display a large

degree of credibility.

Good luck! BW

http://www.brentcombsdesign.com

• 2 months later...

I agree with Allison. I have a dual degree in graphic design and photography. In my

personal opinion, I think the Giggles n Grins is really cheesy. I get the fact that you

wanted it to be fun and whimsical, but I feel it'd be much more professional as Giggles &

Grins. If you aren't sure on an illustration, they are creative ways to use the & sign. Also, I

don't see too many logos that actually use ones image. I would think something whimsical

like a creative smiley face, not the kind with the circle around it, would. On the other

hand, establishing a credible logo is a huge part of branding your image. Something that

would be worth spending the money on. People do recognize a logo, and in my opinion

people are drawn to a more professional looking logo. And please.......don't use anything

with a camera in it!!! Just my two cents.