Initial Lens Lineup - Good Enough?

kyle_long2

Thanks again for the assistance. You've given me quite a bit to think about, and I'm mulling it all over.

I know from prior experience that I enjoy close-up nature photography. I enjoyed it so much, a fair number of years ago, that I had to give up photography as I couldn't afford my $150-per-outing film habit. :) But as I read more about the subject, I'm learning that I may not need a macro lens after all, at least not right away. Not for close-ups of things that won't run away from me.

At least, that's the case if it's true that a telephoto lens and a +3 supplementary lens will give much the same effect. Will the 70-200 f/4L and a supplementary make the ice-on-branches / lichen-on-rocks sort of photographer happy? I might be able to stretch as far as the f/2.8L version of that lens, if that would work better. I'd dearly love to be able to buy the 100-400mm f/4-5.6L, but that would mean blowing my entire budget on one lens. And I'm rather counting on the tripled rebate; combined with the rebate for my camera, that $400+ back is the only thing enabling me to consider spending $1500 on lenses.

I'm still considering the 17-85mm, but that fisheye-like distortion is off-putting. I'm a bit annoyed that Canon isn't providing a good walk-around lens with a decent range that doesn't include weird distortion effects.

"As for the 17-85... the ridiculous amount of distortion at the low end bothers me."

I'm no fan of the EF-S lenses personally, but if distortion is the only thing putting you off the 17-85, it's relatively easy to compensate for this kind of distortion in post processing.

For ice on branches, mushrooms, etc., the 70-200 of your choice plus a diopter will work fine. Putting on the diopter takes a moment, and it's another d@rn thing to carry, but it works well. It's hard to find closeup diopters that will fit the 70-200/4 directly. 77mm diopters that fit on the f/2.8 zooms are easily available, but are expensive and rather bulky.

The Canon 50mm macro is affordable, ultra-sharp, and very good for these kind of shots also. The Sigma 50mm macro also has good reports, and goes to 1:1 on it's own (at a VERY short distance) but I haven't used it. Not that you need MORE options introduced now!

If you go with a diopter, I can testify that the Canon 500D (the "D" is important) and the Nikon diopters are very sharp. Conventional wisdom is that other brands of closeup diopters aren't as good. I tried some borrowed Tiffen closeup diopters and they were not good quality--Totally unsatisfactory to me. I've used Tiffen UV filters when I needed a UV filter and been quite content with them, so this isn't mere brand snobbery on my part. Conceivably diopters from B&W or some other "classier" company are good (I have no experience), but if you choose anything but Canon or Nikon diopters, I'd try it before you buy.

If the biggest objection you have to the 17-85mm IS lens is distortion and vignetting at the wide end, that is easily fixed with a program like DxO Optics Pro.

Their most recent will even output a DNG file, letting you complete the RAW conversion in Photoshop's ACR, so if DxO Labs would only put out a plug-in version of DxO, then my happiness would be complete. Otherwise, it's a bit annoying (but very effective) to haul out the DxO program to process the few shots where the distortion and/or vignetting are even noticeable, and then feed the results into ACR.

In a lot of situations, you won't even notice it, depending on the subject matter.

I have read this thread with interest. I have an EOS 20D with the 17-85 IS which I am really enjoying (despite the concerns some have expressed about its performance). This represents a return to SLRs for me after a few years absence.

I have been digging into the telephoto options. Clearly the one Kyle identifies 70-200 f/4L has a number of attractions in terms of quality and focal range without the heaviness (but with some of the bulkiness) of the 70-200 f/2.8L lenses. I was very close to going the f/2.8 for the flexibility the faster lens provides. But for my purposes (which include photographs during hikes as well as other opportunities that demand a more discrete lens) the size and weight is a bit overwhelming.

My preference is for IS, having had some experience with it now on the 17-85. On my admittedly limited experience, I think it a real boon for handheld photography, particularly with a slower lens. This combined with the conspicuous size and colour of the 70-200 f4L leads me to explore other alternatives before I decide. I am not a professional but enjoy quality images - but only if I can take the equipment to where I need to go. Sometimes I could handle the 70-200 L size and weight, in most cases I could not.

I am considering carefully the 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 DO IS due to its combination of compact size, (relatively) low weight, larger focal range, IS and higher quality. I am conscious of the softer image quality identified in many reviews and the concerns about bokeh and flare with the DO technology. But I have also seen a number of reviews that suggset while not L quality this lens provides a higher quality image (at an admittedly high price) than is available, for example in the 70-300 f4 IS or the older 75-300.

Any comments?