How do they create this effect?

timswaback

This reminds me of so called "Lazlo effect", that, in my understanding, bears name of the photographer who presented results the effect quite skillfully in fred miranda forums (galleries: http://www.pictures-by-lazlo.com/ ). I could not find the original posts describing the method but quick googling yielded this:

http://www.dl-c.com/discus/messages/36/3776.html?1101868616

David, "Its been done to death for decades and decades. I feel sad for the photographer." Everything has been done to death for decades! And I feel sadder for you than them, at least they post some of their work for us to see and contemplate, you seem to be resting on your laurels from ages and ages ago. No one respects snide little remarks unless the snide one has something to back up their snideness.

<Do you think Epson will develop a method for printing on black velvet for these images?>

Richard, that's brilliant...(wiping snorted coffee off of desk) thank you. I've been making the same remark and I think it was to some of this very same very skillfully done but over the top work. (except some of those edges, unless he wanted to create a halo, are not so well done.)

how long you all been digital? this "Dragan Technique" was quite the fodder for many threads a while back and resulted in probably most peoples' first try in actions on photoshop. For most folks that have been digital for a while - the mere mention of Dragan brings back nostalgic memories of trying to create the best action to copy it. <br>And yes it is all post processing techniques in ps. <br>

<a href="Zip_Actions/3D.zip">ZIP</a>

<br>

<a href="www.pbase.com/mikew714/dragan_technique">dragan_technique</a>

<br>

<a href="www.atncentral.com/download.htm">www.atncentral.com/download.htm</a>

<br>

you can do your own searches and find a ton of actions, but you will find that you need a good, sharp pic to start with and plenty of tweaking. Good luck.

I think I got pretty close without too much effort. Just like Mike said, I took a portrait taken in the shade. First I Smart Sharpened it to show the pores (microcontrast). Then I unsharp masked with a larger radius (macrocontrast) to emphasize the wrinkles by "Fading To" Darken. To top it off, I added a steep "S" curve set to Luminosity to emulate the overall contrast and color.<div>00DxnP-26207184.thumb.jpg.b7d1c954bbbfb27798510f8c55dfa176.jpg</div>