Unsharp Mask in PS Elements - basic tutorial?

Since most of the members here use CS and are highly scientific in their approach, perhaps a simpler method that I use would help. It seems the greatest risk with this filter is overuse, so I start with a modest amount of sharpening, around 50%, and see how that looks: then, I slide the radius control up until its effect becomes apparent and back off until it looks right. The threshold control protects the solid or gradient areas from becoming granular in appearance and should be taken off the zero setting as far as appears necessary to avoid that effect. Apply the combo and, if additional sharpening is desired, repeat using a little more sharpening at a time.

However, most portraits suffer from too much sharpness and often profit from a little diffusion to soften edges and help hide blemishes you haven't otherwise dealt with. That would appear to be the case with your illustration.

I've enjoyed using the many free plug-ins available here: http://www.xero-graphics.co.uk/ and you may find some of them very useful. Good luck!

First thing expand the photo to actual pixels, open unsharp mask.

Usually I start between 100%-150% then move the radius to between .9 to 2% and threshold from 0-10. You will have to play with each photo. There is not a magic number that will work on every photo.