I think a 24mm f/2 would be a good idea.

Rob F.

Nikon makes a 24mm f/2 Nikkor. It is not quite as good as their

f/2.8, but when you need f/2, it's pretty good. It can't be that

tough to equal or exceed it, whether by Leica, Cosina, or Zeiss.

It occurred to me while shooting under low-light conditions

recently. I could even have used a 21mm f/2, but in the interests

of not being overly demanding, I'd settle for a 24mm.

What say you? Anyone else feel this need? You know, we clamored

here for a 50/1.4 ASPH, and a 75mm f/2 ASPH, and they both

happened. So if we were to make noise about a 24/2, then . . .

I really enjoy my Natura Black. It is about the same size as an Olympus XA - the Natura is a

bit wider but also a bit shorter, and they have approximately the same volume.

It's a really nice little camera, with the important controls such as exposure compensation,

infinity focus, and flash off that are typically found on higher end P&S cameras. Also, it has

the fastest and widest lens in a new P&S that I have heard of (excepting the GR21).

It took me a while to get the hang of my CV 25mm f/4, but now that I've learned it, I like it a lot. It's a good jump down from my 40mm. But YEAH, having anything better than f/4 would be great. Now, f/4 does give you almost all the DOF you need, but being able to open up and use faster shutter speeds would be great. I think you're talking a big chunk of glass, though, if it will be up to Leica standards.

If you really need the extra stop, you could probably adapt the Canon FD 24mm f2.0 or the Vivitar FD 24mm f2.0 to Leica M mount. I think a couple of other manufacturers made 24mm f2.0's as well.

I think a 24mm Summicron is doable, but the question is image quality. I doubt the Canon FD 24mm f2.0 and Vivitar 24mm f2.0 could compare to the performance of the 28mm Summicron at f2.0. I don't know where Leica would draw the line on image quality, but it's got to be somewhere around there.

I agree with Bill. A 24 F:4 would be a perfect light and small travel lens and probably would do very well in the market place.

I'd also like to see Leica bring back the 35mm F:2.8 Summaron to add to the 35 series. It would be a somewhat smaller and without aspherics, a cheaper alternative to the lux or cron. It might be marketed as "the B&W" lens.

Lets call it the 24/4 Elmar ASPH available in Black chrome to mount on my 11f weighing 210 grams and a 39mm uv filter attached to it. Then they have something going. Oh no I don't know if we can do that, lets instead make a 24 summicron weighing a ton with a $3000.00 price tag.