Events Online stories/experiences ( https://www.ep-o.com/defaultNew.asp )

belledeux diana

I've been watching the jobs listings on EPOnline frequently since

Marc Williams mentioned it here some time ago. (I searched and saw

that many photographers at photo.net use it.)

<P>

I'm finally thinking about taking the plunge, slowly at first. I

would just like to hear to some recent stories about these jobs, and

also, usually...is it hard to win a bid? Which I guess is silly,

because it all depends on the portfolio and etceteras...but imagine

all things being even...for that question.

<P><a href="https://www.ep-o.com/defaultNew.asp">EPOnline</a>

I bought four leads out of the hundreds that were emailed to me for 2005 and 2006 and booked three out of the four weddings. I am very selective on the location, style, budget and details that I buy, as I only photograph weddings where I think the couple and I will interact well.

I see tons of leads with brides wanting $1000.00, negatives or full res files, 10 hours of photography and an album for a Saturday in May. I don't buy until I see a $3,000.00+ lead (or maybe 2000+ for a Friday or winter month) where the couple is at a great venue, wants enough hours for me to get the job done right and that requests a journalist style.

I bet that if you were half way decent, shot in the $1000-2000 range, photographed the full day and gave away the files you would work every weekend of the year.

If you charge a whole lot more and give a whole lot less you can still get good leads, just not as many.

Don't get me started on respond.com<BR><BR>weasels, for instance, will charge about 4$ for a model test request, and if the EXACT SAME GIRL checks the box for "fashion photography" the email fee jumps a little.<BR><BR>Like to about 20$.<BR><BR>I watch both sites constantly and after about two years I've spent about 400$ just on email fees and scored I don't know... five jobs?<BR><BR>EPOnline is way cheaper but they have fewer leads. Respond has better jobs but paying 20$ just for an email contact for a job is a bit over the top, yes?<BR><BR>

Curiously, when you get a referal, does the bride think you're getting an email, and by not purchasing that lead, does the bride think you are not responding?

We signed up for a similar service, but did not know it was a purchase situation. We immediately withdrew our participation. The "leads" we recieved had no information.

I get 1-2 leads per week (in the Western Massachusetts area) and most are from Northern Connecticut. If one looks interesting, I'll buy a lead for $2. Out of a couple dozen emails I sent out to inquiries, I only got 1 or 2 responses and met with only one couple -- they didn't employ me. When almost nobody replies back to my emails, I sometimes wonder if these potential clients even exist. Still, it's pretty inexpensive and I feel I only need to hit once to pay for my "investment".

Marc St.Onge

www.saintongephoto.com

I don't go after theses that much anymore. Most of the leads are below my price range (as

mentioned above). They've restructured their pricing so higher priced requests are more

costly to buy. I've responded to a few recently but heard nothing back. I couldn't attest to

the fact that all the leads are real, just that I initially did book a very nice wedding that

more than paid for any inquiries I've purchased.

I think it is heavily weighted toward the lower to mid-range shooter who has signed up as

a paying subscriber. They get the leads earlier than non paying users, and have ads on the

site as well. I know that in the past my ex-assistant did subscribe, and subsequently

booked up for a year solid from the leads provided. I have no idea whether that pattern

continued into 2005 for her.