Sydney, Australia favorite wedding photo locations

chrispy

Ok, where to begin. I'd have to say the most popular place is the park at the southern end of the Harbour Bridge near the observatory. On a busy Sat arvo I've seen up to 8 brides there at the one time. Helps if you've got a city wedding or reception. Other popular spots in town are the Opera House shooting back towards the Bridge, the Botanical Gardens, or on the passenger terminal side of Circular Quay back towards the Opera House. If its a Sunday afternoon sometimes you can use a city street to good effect in the middle of town somewhere. </p>Further out east (my end of the world) there are a lot of places to shoot around churches, say for instance St Marks Darling Point you could head down to McKell Park, or at St Peters Watsons Bay, head down by the water near Doyles or Camp Cove, maybe from St Michaels to Nielsen Park etc. Strickland House is a popular non denominational spot and I've got one on Thur at Vaucluse House. Basically you need to get down near the water since there's so much fun to be had and if you can take some lighting or reflectors with you and balance the sun a bit, you can get some great shots. Same for the lower North Shore around Balmoral or Mosman. Which area are you looking at?

Hi Jonathon, thanks for the response.

I'm not looking at any particular area's at the moment as I haven't done a wedding professionally yet and I don't have any bookings for any. I'm just trying to gather as much infomation as possible prior to getting a phone call for a wedding.

I'm a little nervous doing a wedding but I'm not sure how else to get stuck into it. I know I would do a much better job than some photographers out there (looking at some of our friends wedding photos), but I know I am still an amateur.

Chris

Sydney is a big place - so it will often depent where the wedding is. I dont like to travel too much or use locations that are too far apart.

As mentioned - The "Lady Macquaries Chair" area in the Botanical Gardens is great. Also on the way in is the Art Gallery. The large Sandstone Pillars can make a nice composition.

I also like the area around the Historic Rocks area. There are lots of sandstone walls, openings, nooks and crannies to use.

If you havent shot a wedding before I would recomend trying to get a run as a 'second shooter' for a while. If you have any friends, relatives getting married this could provide an op and is how most people get into it.

Dont mean to put you off - however shooting a wedding on your own is a fairly adrenaline charged, daunting task for the unitiated. You need to be extremely competant as a shooter in all lighting conditions, very organised, a good communicator, tolerant,

and able to think quickly on yor feet. You also need a full backup system ready to go if your main camera fails.

Good luck.

Hi Jason. I have shot at a few family and friends weddings as you suggest. The only problem there is you can't get full coverage, you have to stay out of the way of the main photographer. At the end of the day I don't get the neccassary experience which you have mention, that is, "You need to be extremely competant as a shooter in all lighting conditions, very organised, a good communicator, tolerant, and able to think quickly on yor feet".

What roll do you take as a second shooter? And how do I approach photographers to ask if they want a second shooter?

Chris

There are plenty of second opportunities to be the only one in attendance. For example if the 'real' pro is at the brides place, you might want to get to the groom's getting ready ceremony, or if the pro wants to go home once the cake is cut, you can hang around and do some dancing, late speeches or couples portraits. Also shooting candids during the ceremony and reception is a great way to get quality emotion shots. Shoot the grooms face as the bride walks in, follow flower girls around for a bit, and work on your organising skills by getting the next group ready for the group shots so the pro can save time.

Chris

I understand what you are saying. I dont want to put you off as this is how most of us got started. However you need to be fully ready and equiped before you assume the responsibily, and accept payment for documenting what may be the most important occasion in a couples life.

A second shooter will often go to the grooms house and shoot him getting ready with the Best Man / Groomsmen. You would then travel to the ceremony and grab Candids of the guests and asist the primary photographer. It's an excellent way to learn.

The first step is to put together a portfolio of your work and contact some local photographers.

The PICA (Austraia) website has a section where you can place an ad for this type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason, sounds like a good idea. I just want you to know though, that this would be my first time taking these types of shots.

The hardest thing for me will be how to get you guys to pose, so this will be trial and error. If you're still interested, we can get some of the more experienced Photonet members to give some tips over the next couple of weeks and see how we go.

Just wondering what your background is. Are you a photographer?

Chris :)

The most interesting wedding pictures I've ever seen were taken at the old brickworks in St Peters/Newtown, but having said that, I'm not that big a fan of the average wedding photo. I do like old ruins, though, and the interesting setting of the brickworks compensated for the cliched poses of the bride & groom. Nielsen Park (Vaucluse) or similar spots, where there are sandstone rocks by the beach are nice, too. I've attended a few Sydney weddings, and almost every one of them involved photographs at or near the Opera House. *Yawn*!