Nikon 5000 problems or stupidity

I have just bought the Nikon 5000ED (on my Mac G5, Panther and CS2) and using the

Nikon Scan v4.0.2 the scans I get

are as seen below - milky, washed-out and useless. I have checked through the settings

and changed different parameters but still I get the stone-washed look. any thoughts

would spare me expensive psychiatrist bills.

Thanks.

You've got no dMAX it looks like.

Do you know how to do a screen shot? In OS X it is the following keystroke combination:

Command (the "apple" key) + shift + 3 .

Do a screen shot of your histogram & settings in Nikon Scan and post it. that will help get

your problem diagnosed.

In the meantime, try not using auto adjust and setting your black point to zero and your

white point to just about 5 to 6 points beyond the end of the "mountain range in your

histogram. leave the middle slider set to 0.

What are your CMS settings? what color space are you scanning into? sRGB (not

recommended) , Adobe RGB(1998) or something else? What gamma are you using (should

be 2.2) ?

Uninstall and reinstall Nikonscan.

Set everything back to default, don't do any adjustments.

See if that works...most scanning problems seem to come from people trying to outsmart the gizmo.

The defaults may not be ultimate, but they're sure to be very good if the machine's operating properly.

If it doesn't you ought to return the scanner, definitely not considering "service".

Thanks for the answers, but unfortunately I have been through all of the settings a

hundred times (and my partner, who works professionally with scanners and photoshop

has also) but the reults from the preview look good and from the actual scan look

dreadful. I can't imagine the machine is faulty (or surely the preview would also be bad)

but I will go back to the shop in the morning with my laptop and see if they have any clues

(probably not!). Aarrgghh, this is always so frustrating with new hardware!

If you've uninstalled and reinstalled, used the most basic defaults and still have problems, the problem is the machine. Nikon's defaults, like those of Minolta and Epson, are very close to perfect with most images.

I don't agree that Nikonscan's difficult... and I DO find it more "intuitive" than most software (I HATE documentation)...however it does offer plenty of opportunity to screw up if one gets fancy.

I tried the calibration, I tried uninstall and reinstall. Just the same results. Also, I often get

a message saying that I should 'remove the film holder and press ok to try again' - but this

seems to get me into a never ending cycle of these messages and I just ignore it.

Honestly, how many times have I (we) bought things like this that are faulty out of the box

or are software incompatible. BTW does anyone run the 5000ED on Mac/panther/G5/Cs/

Cs2?

Thanks again for the answers...