Interesting Observation

rayt

Gotta love that Lauren.

Sure they chimp on the MRI. And I think they do it before the shot.

On topic the LCD is a tool and a convenience. And I still think a film user would love to have the assurance that the soon to be 10 or 20 dallar proccessed roll of film was going to be exposed right on.

Hope that MRI proved you to be healthy Lauren.

Thanks Tim, good idea still prob hard to keep an eye on everyone's eyes.

Don't know MRI results yet. still minor injuries from a rear end collision 6 mos ago (just hours after I had posted a thread about what do you all do when you are injured in an accident, etc...)

As Jaimie pointed out, we don't know what she was looking at, so rushing to judgment does her a disservice.

On the other hand, if she was getting paid for the event, and the amount of chimping she was doing was excessive to the point of measurably dragging out the photo sessions, then her methods do become questionable.

A quick peek to check the histogram, composition, whatever, is OK if it is fleeting and on occasion, but constantly referring to the LCD is not only amateurish, it is counter-productive in that it takes a toll on the subjects. Unless the light is constantly changing, there'd be little need to do that.

If, as suggested, she may have been new to either digital in general or to the camera specifically, it would be her responsibility, as one who was being paid for the assignment, to familiarize herself with her gear before the event.

Having the ability to check each and every frame doesn't make it OK to do it. The same need to work smoothly and quickly, in a professional way, applies to digital capture as much as it applies to film.

You cannot see a "blink" on a group shot in a quick look at the screen. You have to zoom in for that.

I check one shot and then go on and shoot. Mostly I check my settings and the shots come out as they should.

The issue, as stated by others is battery and time wasting.

This is a little like the recent "AF Beep" thread.

Now surely any photographer worth their salt doesnt "beep", "Chimp", use 3D Daylight Balanced Fill Flash, Aperture Priority (or worse auto), Stroboframes, Lycra Neck Straps, Gary Fong Lightspheres, Pocket Wizards, Alien Bees....if you digital guys were really good you would paint over that puncy viewfinder and fly blind.

What happened to the old Range Finder (large format), some cannisters (not those sissy preloaded 35mm rolls) or Tri X, and a 25 litre drum of XTOL (mix it up yourself of course)...

Film shooters DO chimp. They just have to wait until their pictures are developed before they can look at them to see if they made mistakes. That is the beauty of digital. You can see as soon as you take the picture if your settings are off. Granted, the more experience you have, the less you need to chimp.