Flash control with digital M / what does the DMR offer?

Jochen_S

I'm just curious about the latest rumors about the digital M and the

experience of DMR shooters, to know what Leica are capable of. As far

as I know TTL flash, as used in film bodys, doesn't work with

digital. - What have Leica done to solve this?

Will Leica offer some ETTL? With a ridiculous small proprietary flash

only or is there hope for SCA adapters to get something strong and

affordable?

How does the DMR control flash? And is anybody pleased with the

flashmetering feature of the R8/9?

It doesn't. Metz, or someone will have to deal with the TTL flash issue with a different SCA

adapter I guess. When Nikon came out with the D1X my SB28 just wouldn't work on it. I had

to get the new SB28DX version, which was basically the same flash with electronics that

worked with a digital sensor. Hopefully that'll happen for the DMR.

But, I have to admit that just using my Metz on auto has work just fine. So, a 283 would do

just as well for now at considerably less cost.

As far as I can read the specs, both Canon and Nikon offer TTL flash controll with their dSLRs, I have no personal experience, so it might be the companies marketing arms that are calling it TTL when it realy isn't. Someone else will be better suited to comment on that.<BR><BR>

On page 14 of the DMR docs we find this <i>"TTL flash mode, i.e. using the TTL setting on the flash unit to control the flash exposure on the camera is not possible due to the operating principle. Reason: This TTL flash exposure control is based on the reflection properties of films. However, the surfaces of digital image sensors generally have different reflection properties. As a consequence, computer control (normally A) or manual mode (normally M) on the relevant flash unit should be used."</i><BR><BR>

The only sensible way for Leica to go is to make a hot shoe that works with an SCA3502. Existing SCAs might need new firmware, but that has been provided free so far by Metz (Bogen in the US). If GNC truly is the only option (as on the D2) the CCD reads the light return information after the pre-flash adjusting the burst emitted during exposure. Regardless the biggest Metz units compatible with the D2 should be more than bright enough for a DigiM.

<BR>

- Carl

Leica make the DMR rather than a fully-digital R9, for a system used primarily by working photographers, and as a result the TTL flash function is crippled. Meanwhile, for M owners, most of whom are collectors with substantial emotional attachment to their ancient kit, Leica will not make a digital back but rather a dedicated digital body. No wonder they're at the brink of receivership.

BTW, the "f" flash-metering function of the R8/9 is fully-operational with the DMR, as it measures off the shutter, not the film. Slow and cumbersome in many situations, but usable nonetheless where for one reason or another one might require a flash reading TTL.

Marc and Carl - "Metz, or someone will have to deal with the TTL flash issue with a different SCA adapter I guess. When Nikon came out with the D1X my SB28 just wouldn't work on it. I had to get the new SB28DX version, which was basically the same flash with electronics that worked with a digital sensor."

That's just not going to happen. The reason SB-28 wouldn't work on your D1X was that Nikon altered the internal hardware and firmware (software) on the camera to permit the flash to fire early and meter a reflection off the shutter curtain. That's why your D1X shutter is white, instea of black (if you've ever wondered about that).

The only way to get that kind of operation from a DMR would be to send it back to Leica to have the shutter curtain changed and new firmware. A new Metz SCA module can't do a dang thing, because it needs an input that the DMR just can't provide.