Best Wedding lens for Canon Digital Rebel

jonj

I have been hashing out which is the best way to go in the DSLR/Lens

match-up. Thanks for all the advise on this forum. I have concluded

that to build off of the Rebel is where my money should go given I

want the body and lens to stay under $1,500.

It looks like the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 is an option and the EF 24-70mm

f2.8 Any other ideas are welcome.

I know others have recommended the Rebel, but if it is the original D Rebel and not the XT, there are some problems with having to get the "hack" to do exposure compensations, plus the original Rebel uses ETTL, not ETTL II, and has a reputation for being inconsistent in flash exposures. Many beginners in wedding photography expect to put the flash on the camera and start shooting perfect exposures (or at least good, saleable ones) without understanding the workings of the system. I've seen many such photographers become extremely frustrated--you don't need to put yourself behind the 8 ball if you don't have to. On something this important, I would save until I can afford the gear that makes sense, both operationally and from a business standpoint. If money is that tight, consider a used Rebel XT and the 24-70 f2.8, along with a used Vivitar 285 auto thyristor flash. If the lens is still too much, consider the Sigma 18-50 f2.8, although I would fight very hard not to have to purchase a third party lens. If I did, I would consider it temporary, until I can afford to get Canon lenses. After that, save toward the 580EX, or whatever is top of the line at that point. And don't forget a back-up system, as Ken points out.

Jonathan, while I was in training last year I used the Rebel, and for outside candid shots (with a great lens) there was no issue. However, I knew that the camera was limited so my plan was as I took on the more serious parts of the Wedding I had to have a lil more under the hood. Hence the 20d for me! Now, I am planning for a mid year purchase of the 5d. Why? Because like others have said, you are taking shots for someone that you cant go and re-create the experience,,,,heck of a responsibilty. Would you want your wedding day shot entirely with the Rebel? Best wishes...btw, my 11yrs old daughter shoots with me (with client permission) with the Rebel.

You can pick up Rebel XTs for like $600-$700 right now with triple rebates if you get a

Canon lens or two. (Well, that may have ended, or it's ending like mid/end of January.)

Check eBay. there are TONS of XTs on there! Just don't get cheap lenses!

Make sure it is a fast lens (lower F stop rating) like 2.8 for zooms, or 1.4. or 1.8 for

primes. I just picked up the Canon 24-105 F4 with image stabilisation. Wow. I like it so

far. Other Pros use that lens, too. It has a wide zoom range, and you can get sharp

photos at 1/15 or even down to 1/5 if you are steady.

I also have the Sigma 18-50 2.8 $400ish? and Sigma 70-200 2.8 ($700ish). They are

pretty inexpsnive, and sharp. But, I found that the 18-50 while being wide enough, isn't

long enough. I miss the 50-70 a lot. Perhaps the less expensive Sigma 24-70 would be

good? They don't focus *nearly* as fast as Canon USM lenses, but fast enough. The AF on

the Rebels isn't so hot, but it gets enhanced when you have a F2.8 or faster lens on the

center sensor.

~Aaron

I don't want you to think I am going to run out with a Rebel and charge $1,500 to do a wedding. I still have a long way to go and need to add a DSLR. So the Rebel may see a few weddings, but more Portraits and will move to back-up and another Canon of the week will be the main camera, and the lenses will transfer. I will still carry 2 pentax Film SLRs for B&W. Again I am not one of those "hey lets try Wedding photography today !"

• 1 month later...
Before you buy, check out the 24-105 f/4L USM IS. I can cover an entire wedding with out a lens change. Just imagine, you have eliminated the chance of dust contamination on your sensor and the possibility of lost action shots because you have the wide range needed on your body almost all of the time. I have a lot of lenses, and this is by far my favorite. Opically it is superb. It's the best $1300 you will ever spend.