Black and White VS Greyscale

jd_rose

it would be inferior. the best results are always from making your choices with software after the fact. best results for b&w is to make a copy of a raw image and desaturate it with the slider in which ever converter you are using. the remaining controls, wb, exp, brightness, contrast etc etc provide "the look" of the final non-destructive 16 bit image.

jpg's are for kids. jpg's shot in camera in b&w are for...i dunno...morrons.

Possibly the best solution is to shoot color and then convert to b+w in software as Eric suggests. As well as desaturation you should try the Photoshop channel mixer, select the monochrome option. You will get a choice of R, G, or B channels to manipulate.

Good luck

I love Tri-X, it is about all I use, but as someone else noted it is hard to stuff in a Digilux.

I love traditional photography but I love the convenience and flexibility of digital. The only thing I don't love about digital is the resulting B&W photos. So far, to my eye, a greyscale digital image cannot match a silver black & white print.

I am a touch tired of carrying around a digital camera for color and a 35mm for black & white. I was hoping the Digilux 2 could be my solution.

--- JDR

• 2 years later...
to whoever is interested, my personal experience with the tri-x film is that never shoot in the open daylight, try to photograph in the shade or an overcast day, coz' it is a rather contrasty film. many people say the grain is fine, but i find it rather 'rough', however, i like tht a lot. any comment?