24-105mm needs hood?

libby_ross2

Does anyone on here have any experience with the 24-105mm f/4L? I'm trying to

pack my lens+body into the smallest bag possible. I have a toploading lowepro

right now. Short of dragging around a classic bag, I have to choose between my

flash and my lens hood.. How necessary is this hood for this lens?

Not needed but nice to have for protection against raindrops, doggie noses and stray tree

branches. Doesn't do much for flare (your hat works better). Luckily this lens doesn't flare

much except under the worse of conditions. Take the flash.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Every lens needs a hood. The hood reverses and is quite compact on this lens so should not be a big overhead.

My test for flare with a bright light in the frame showed the 24-105 to be worse than the 17-40 for example, this probably follows through to bright lights out of the frame so I would say a hood is essential.

All lenses flare. Uusually you don't notive it, but it's there. I always use a hood, and never use a filter (except polariser) for this reason. Hoods are also very good for protection.

You have obviously invested a lot of money on your kit, so it's worth getting the right bag so you can make best use of it all. Not a lot of money overall.

I recently did the same thing as I wanted to carry a flash, and now use a Lowepro Slingshot which I highly recommend. They now make it in three different sizes.

Richard.

I have this problem with my 70-200/4. The lens is compact but the lens hood is less so. Most of the time I keep it reversed over the front of whatever lens is on the camera. However if I take my 300/4 then this does not work. In that case I use a bungee cord to attach the lens hood to the camera bag strap. Perhaps something like this will work for you.

Richard Hopkins "All lenses flare. Uusually you don't notive it, but it's there. I always use a hood, and never use a filter (except polariser) for this reason."

As long as you use a top end multicoated filter like Hoya SHMC Pro1, B+W MRC or Heliopan SH-PMC you will be fine even with the sun in the frame, the lens might flare but the filter wont. You might want to remove them for night shooting, but with these filters the lens will be the limiting factor, even the excellent 17-40. The 24-105 flares more than the 17-40.

The problem comes when you use the base end filters with only a single coat.

I fully believe in using hoods on my lenses. However, the 24-105 hood is pretty much useless.

It is designed not to vignette at 24mm, so is wide and kind of flat. This means that past ~30mm (pure guess, but reasonable) it really does nothing to sheild the lens from side light flaring. Therefore from 30-105 the lens does nothing for flare. Also, it may keep the lens protected from a side "hit", but it's flat design does little to protect it from something coming from the front.

General, while others may not like it, I wish Canon had designed the 24-105 with the 24-70 hood design/action. Not only does it make the hood fiunctional, but it also stores easier.

My 2 cents....JOHN

I admit the hood is pretty wimpy on the 24-105, and I am skeptical about how effective it is. But I still follow the theory of always using the hood, so it can give a little shielding versus things bumping into that fragile and expensive glass element that otherwise is right out where anything can scar it.