uses white for their "L" telephoto lens. Please tell me why and

what's the history behind using white for this segment of their lens

line. TIA

I should receive my first L Telephoto on Friday (70-200mm 4L), and

if I had my choice, I probably would have ordered all black. The

camera and gear are expensive, and when I shooting I'm not aware of

who, or what is happening around me, so no need to draw any extra

attention to me and my gear.

Anyone ever have a close enounter with evil minded individuals?

I seem to recall that the official reason is to prevent heat absorption when shooting outdooors in the summer, etc.

The more cynical think that when prospective long lens buyers see all the pros with the white lenses on the sidelines, they want to know, "hey, what brand is that?"

...because if you're attacked by a rice pudding monster in an IKEA bedroom they won't see

your lens.

<P>

Also, because Canon say that the off-white colour absorbs less heat and is thus less

problematic for fluorite lens elements.

<P>

<A HREF="http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#whitelens" > http://

photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html#whitelens </A>

the lenses are not white ... they are a beige/off-white colour and no one except you and a handful of photo.netters will care about the colour of your lens. it is a myth that anyone has such de-railed priorities to give any notice to you or your camera/lens. the world has evolved far away from caring about introverted-shutterbugs carrying large-lenses, other than seeking refuge. and besides, f4 is amateur-hour.

'L' stands for layabout, which is what you do with your 70-200 2.8 or larger if some lowlife says "Gimme da camera punk!" The reason why it is white is so you can clean off the bloodstains completely, which is rather difficult with a black Nikon ED lens

<p> <i>no one except you and a handful of photo.netters will care about the colour of your lens </i> </p>

<p> I'm one of those photo.netters. When I had the 70-200/4 and 300/4 IS I hated the attraction these lenses made. See <a href="http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=97056">point #4</a>. I wish Canon had made a black option to its white lenses. <b></b> </p>

<p>Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim.</p>

robert potts , jan 10, 2006; 02:34 p.m.

"Why not make white cameras to match the lenses?"

I'm thinking about doing that to my D30 if/when I convert it to IR...

I do notice that my 300D does not get as hot as either the 10D or 5D in the hot hawaiian sun...

And a white lens does stay much cooler than a black camera body.

I bet Canon could charge $500 more for white bodies...heck, they charge more for the Tripod Ring A (W) than the (B) version! ...and the (B) version has another part.

Nikon pro tele's are actually available in 'grey' and black. The Grey is just slightly off-white. Minolta and Pentax also do white lenses. Canon was a latecomer to the idea of white lenses, but by far the biggest adopter.

The lower heat absorption answer may be the right one, but big Nikon optics don't have problems in the heat. Moose Peterson uses his big black 600mm f/4 EDIF and 200mm-400mm f/4 ED VR lenses uncovered all the time for great wildlife images. No, some Nikon lenses have problems in the rain, but that's another story.

But wildlife can see any white coming miles away, and (off-)white can spook 'em when you swing that big lens and tripod off your shoulder. Aftermarket sellers of camouflage wraps for big Canon telephotos do a brisk business...

If you need your Great White Lens to be less visibile, I'd go to http://www.birdsasart.com/accs.html#JRF for a camoufleage wrap. It'll protect your lens from minor dings and scratches too.<div>00Et2l-27563384.jpg.c97464ae00259e69655b4985f7bdc794.jpg</div>