Canon 5D Depreciation

barefoot

" How much do you think the 5D would depreciate after 2-3 months use. Non-professional use taking maybe 50-75 images per day."

Stuart, the answer is it will depreciate $500 per month for the first 3 months. I am so certain of this fact that I will promise you in writing that if you buy one, after 3 months of light use I will buy it from you for $1800.

As it was case with first DRebel, price will probably go up around x-mass time, since it

makes nice gift. Now what i am confused about is why 20D is not becoming cheaper.

Another related question. 5D is around 3300, while 1Dm2 N is 3800. I cannot belive that

there is so many people who belive that 1D is not worth that additional $500. Ok sure you

get couple Mpix less but you get build and features of 1D. i just dont get it.

My cameras usuallly depreciate faster then mentioned due to constant use and abuse, so i

really cannot answer original question. But they do more depreciate then lens would.

Mark:

The reason(IMHO) 5D doesn't interfere with 1D MKII is because 5D is a Full-Frame DSLR, 1D MKII is not. Other than the main fact that the 1D has better sealing, most people would want the full frame for the wide angle.

Stuart:

Unless you buy your camera gear like it's a pack of baseball cards, I don't quite understand your question. If resale value is your main concern, I'd stick with a Leica and not use it(box it up) for about 50-75 years(then you might be seeing some$$$).

CORRECTION:

"Other than the main fact that the 1D has better sealing, most people would want the full frame for the wide angle."

There will be consumers who will benefit from 5D's Full frame and consumers that will benefit from 1D's Sealing.

I've found digital SLRS retain their value fairly well UNTIL a new model comes out. Then, they're almost worthless. I've just listed my 1Ds a couple of weeks later than I'd planned (my internet service was down) and see I've lost hundreds of $$ in that short span. But, prices stand up OK until the new model appears.

<i>Stuart: Unless you buy your camera gear like it's a pack of baseball cards, I don't quite

understand your question.</i>

<p>

Sigh. It really is a very straightforward question Steve - especially if you'd read my previous

posts.

<p>

Thanks for replies, I was hoping for a % figure but realise its not that simple..

Lee,

Are you seeing the resale on the 1Ds at about $3200 bucks? Where did the 1Ds start out.

I see the 20D and 5D and the 1d MKIIn and 1Ds MKII as two couplets. The 5D and 1Ds MKII are both full frame and not really geared towards sports or fast action shooting. The 20D and 1D MKIIN are crop cameras built for speed.

Mark:

I'm seeing 1Ds prices down to US$2700 now on Fred Miranda. A couple of weeks ago I was seeing over $3000. I'm in Canada and even Canadians (who save GST and shipping hassles) are offering me similar amounts. This crash in prices is even worse than I recall seeing when selling my D60 and 10D a while back.

Of course, I haven't been keeping a spreadsheet and graphing the numbers, but it is really quite alarming to see the price of what was a US$8K camera dropping like a stone. Possibly there are many others out there whose only interest in the large, heavy and complex 1Ds was the full-frame sensor. - and now they have the 5D.

I'm hoping the day has finally arrived when I can buy a digital SLR that is not a huge compromise. Say what you will, but 6 and 8 megapixel, cropped-frame cameras were always "not quite good enough" for a lot of work. With the 5D I get a decent file size and get my wide-angle lenses back. And, it is a reasonable size and weight. (It'll never replace my Leicas, but that's another story). The bottom line is MAYBE we finally have a (usefully small) camera that will not be totally obsolete in a year. So, maybe 5D prices will hold up better over time.