Sometimes, it's good to take a step backward...

erik_loza

I was talking with an acquaintance a while back who shoots mostly 2.25", but does have a

little Leica rangefinder for just walking around. We were comparing hardware, as camera

nerds do, and he was inspecting my big backpack with F5 and several fast AF-S zooms.

Then, he asked me question that really disarmed me: "You're only shooting 35mm. What

do you need all that stuff for? It weights more than my medium-format gear". I didn't have

an answer, because he was partially correct. All that modern gear is what I'm accustomed

to works for me, which is the most important point. I do enough local safaris and shoot

just enough wildlife to justify the AF stuff, but my friend has a point: I couldn't tell you the

last time I just grabbed camera on the way out the door and took it along. More

importantly, I kind of miss that.

My first Nikon SLR was an F90x and I bought a 105mm AF Micro Nikkor and 28mm AF,

plus an SB-28. I was shooting lots of little critters at the time and had one lens for the

animals, themselves, and another for the habitat. That was the best I could afford at the

time (1996) and that camera and those two lenses went everywhere with me. Fast forward

to 2006 and only the 105mm Micro remains and it is rarely used because I don't like it on

the DSLR as much as the film body. Of course, I love taking pictures as much as back then

but somewhere in that span of accumulating more and newer stuff, "spontaneous" turned

into "a procedure". Worse, I sometimes feel like I miss things because it's too much hassle

to drag along the big backpack and tripod.

So, I set out to organize a simple kit of body + lenses to always keep over the shoulder or

in the waist pack for a quick hike. IMO, one of the biggest benefits of the digital revolution

is the rate at which people are unloading really nice older film cameras and lenses. Here's

what I was able to piece together:

-N90s on Ebay: $120/

-28mm f2.0 AIS at local camera store: $180/

-50mm f1.4 AIS at neighborhood pawn shop that I was able to haggle down due to loose

lens mount (which was fixed at home in about 30 seconds): $50/

-85mm f1.8 (AI'd) on Ebay: $100/

-180mm f2.8 AIS at local camera store: $215

Grand total of $665. I paid $700 for my F90x back in '96. For me, at least, it's easy to get

caught up in the technology of the day and though I can't see myself ever parting with the

F5 or the 17-35mm, there's really something magic about being able to throw a simple

SLR camera, a couple of fast prime lenses and a few rolls of black and white in the bag as

you walk out the door.

There is also a grip on ebay for the f90x for $35. Look for a multi function back to help bracket and throw in a cheap as chips sb28 or even a CT4. You could probably add all of these for another $100 - $150.

I agree there is heaps of cheap film stuff getting around strangly though pentax k1000's hold thier value. These are my recommended starter camera.

Yeah, I used to have a grip on my old '90 and it was nice. Cool, but I'm liking the smaller-

the-better aspect of this rig. The only real upgrades I've done to it are adding an E-screen

and I found a used Kirk plate, so it can work on my tripod if need be. Thanks.

I agree that what people are dumping can be used to create some real nice kits at low prices.

My quick grab "Nikon" kit consists of a Nikon F3Hp 50 1.4 , 28 2.0 and a 85 1.8. The light version of this kit is the F3Hp with 50 1.4.

Alternaitve lenses are the 24 mm and the 135 mm.

My "have in my car and truck at all times" kit consists of Zorki 6 with a 50 2.0 ( no batteries required and real small).

My Medium Format quick grab kit consists of a Graflex 22 6x6 camera.

Film of choice Tri-X with a little Porta for variety.

The best film P&S I ever had was a Zeiss Super Ikonta B. Fast handling, great rangefinder, and it folds up very compactly for storage into a large coat pocket. The 6x6cm images were outstanding. I regret selling that one. For the better part of the year and a half, I was using an FG with a single lens as an "anywhere - anytime" outfit. That is, until the shutter died on it. Now, I use my Canon Sure Shot P&S, purchased originally in 1983.<p>All of these are a lot faster, and more fun to use than my digital Olympus P&S, which is afflicted with significant shutter lag, and takes a long time to "turn on".

Erik, A good post.

Should evoke some sobering thoughts (i sincerely hope) on the posters with questions like, "D this or that with a crappy zoom for $2,000".

Just because these fine cameras and lenses are dumped and available for bargain prices, it does not mean they are any less tools for photography.

It is about the right tool for the job. Sometimes the job calls for heavy duty, high power gear. I take the F5 into the pit at gigs because it has the toughness to withstand a few knocks and splashes of beer, and the sheer mass to be steady handholding in low light. But I have a little FM3a just for walking around in daylight with.