1D, indoors, low light, JPEG, Av (1.8-2.8), bounced flash: Which WB?

yakim_peled1

The LCD does OK (not great but better than nothing) for judging WB, so verify on-site.

Here'e where I'd start:

If flash is main: Flash WB

If flash is fill:

-And ambient is tungsten: flash or cloudy, you'll be fine. Auto works ok.

-And ambient is fluor. or Hg vapor: flash or auto. Expect disappointment. There is no

good solution since the WP's are just too far apart and look horrible together, like wearing

strpies and plaid.

-b

Yakim,

I've been reading your posts and answers for some time so answering one should be fun. Of course in the spirit of some of your answers, I have to note that you didn't say whether you are using natural light indoors, artifical or a mix.

First, the 1D has a different set up for white balance then the 1D MkII so I don't have the exact experience you want. Personally, if tungsten light, with the flash I'd accept the warm tones and use the AWB which will pretty much use the flash white balance. But I wouldn't shot Av mode without experimenting first. The mix of the light sources will likely show as daylight for the background and artifical for the subject. If no lights are on, then the AWB works well enough. Cloudy or Shade might work better. I sometimes prefer the look of daylight as though I was shooting film by natural light indoors rather than trying for a correct white balance.

Another question to you would be what look you are trying to get with the flash and Av mode? Your subject is going to be exposed properly without the flash and the rest of the background will be lighted by the flash. I suspect that the balance will not be possible to control if artifical light is part of the mix. I know everyone writes about dragging the flash, but with artifical lights that could lead to mixed results.

You clearly have something in mind by your question, but the shortness of the question leaves too many guesses as to what you want as shown by the above response by Brad.