An old-tech "sleeper": cheap pocketable last years megapixellage

I would like to buy a cheap used really compact P&S digital camera

that is pocketable and an excellent picture-taker, but is cheap

because it has 2.1mp capacity or less (even 1.3mp) and is old

technology. I actually own a Fuji Finepix 400Zoom, which is 3.1mp

and has good glass, but I hate its ergonomics. I find that it is too

large and clunky, and I hate the slideaway metal lens cover.

(Supposedly a Porsche design. Feh!)

Are there early Canon Powershot or Casio or Fuji or Kyocera or other

brands / models, that are particularly worth looking for, that one

might find at a great price on that auction site, because they're

only 2.1 or 1.3 and were last sold in 2002 might be had for a song?

[A song? $25 to $40. (What with new / refurb 3.1 Kodaks going for

$100).]

The only 'sleeper' I know in this category that I'd find reliable are Canon Powershots (A80/A95/S45, the last having a slider) or Kodak DC4800, which has lots of user controls and a very nice 28-85mm lens. But these aren't truly pocket size. Anything with more vintage will be suspect to loosened circuit boards, possibly damaged battery contacts, and finicky lens-retracting mechanisms. And be bigger.

My current pocket rocket is a Pentax Optio S40, which seems to do everything I need when I can't schlep a larger camera. 4MP, metal-clad body, flush retracting lens, and a digital voice recording capability that's pretty exceptional. It runs on rechargeable AA's or forever-lasting CRV3 cells. It's my rough equivalent to the Olympus Stylus Epic -- without the weather-proofing, of course.

Hi Daniel ! It's taffer here.

I got a powershot A20 some months ago, pretty much for a song as you say, something like 20 euros or so. It's not tiny, but not bulky either. Coming from 35mm RFs I appreciate that it's not one of those miniature things. Takes 4 AA batteries which can give you plenty of juice, mainly if used with the lcd screen off using the optical finder.

I've used it for some street shooting, hip shot style and also for some landscapes. Does a pretty good job and the 2.1 MP files are no problem for even an old computer.

Overall it could make a nice choice, you can see some photos I took with it here:

http://www.pbase.com/taffer/dstreets

Oscar / Taffer

The point is not a cheap digital, but a good one that happens to be cheap because it is two or three year old technology. The Canon Powershot sounds like the right sort of camera - cheap, yet with a good lens and features. At 2.1mp it should be good for 4x6 prints. I assume that a 1.1 mp drugstore digital for $10 is single-use disposable junk, while a Powershot A20 is a versatile digital camera.

I realize I should leave such discussions alone, but I have a Nikon 995 from 2001, which still has good color, good close-up capability, and for which accessories are becoming aggressively cheap at KEH. The swivel-body construction is convenient, and you get used to composing via chimping. I'd look for an excellent condition or better 995 or 4500 (the 4MP replacement). You could also go with the 2mp 950, which has a poor hot-filter and can therefore be used for IR. All of these are also pocketable, if you have a deep pocket. (they're long, but not terribly thick)

I really like my Canon Powershot S110 Digital Elph. Beautifully sized and tough! Its had an all metal body, nice features, and 2.1mp. Unfortunately you can only get these used now since they are no longer in production.

Daniel wrote "I assume that a 1.1 mp drugstore digital for $10 is single-use disposable junk, while a Powershot A20 is a versatile digital camera." <p>

Can anyone point me to a Powershot macro eye that beats my drugstore digital unmodified closeup showing reflection of camera lens in my pupil <a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3080276">(brite_eye)</a>? <p>

I have taken 100s of shots with hacked many time use drugstore digitals and do not think they are junk. However they severely lack features and require some soldering skill and ability to follow a multistep procedure to hack. Please visit <a href="http://www.camerahacking.com">camerahacking</a> if your interested in experiementing with very cheap cameras.