please delete my page

yann_r.

Hi there,

I leave PN, could some webmaster delete completly my page?<br>

Even with all my portfolio deleted and my account closed, my page -

with my name and the text "this account has been deleted" - still

appears. I'd like you to erase it.<p>

Thank you.

Sorry you are leaving. You can delete your photos, except for any that were chosen as Photo of the Week. But anything else you have posted cannot be deleted, including photo comments, forum posts, photo ratings, classified ads, etc. These are now part of the archives of the site. Your posting history is no longer shown except to moderators, but if anybody clicks on your name on a post, they will see the short version of your Community Member page with the notation that the account has been deleted.

Why are you "leaving", by the way?

I spent really good time on PN but lately I didn't enjoy this website and photo as I'd like to.<br>

I only own a basic SONY DSC-P8. I've learnt a lot but impossible for me to apply whatever with such an "all-auto" compact camera.<br>

I hope to be able to buy a new camera (one which will allow me to set up it as I want) at the end of the year. It's possible I'll come back, this time with a real account by suscribing and with more better achieved work.<p>

I find this website not so helpful for beginners, if you don't have friends, you're quite anonymous. And if, like me, you own a basic-automatic camera, you don't look serious, else for a few people.<p>

Of course, no problem for me that my comments stay available on PN. What I expected is that my name was deleted, if you can't delete it, no matter, not such a big problem for me. After all, I leave some traces in this community : )<p>

Wish you good luck.

Yann, my friend, consider this. You mention that you feel that there is too much anonymity unless you have made some friends here. I can very well understand that position. The present PhotoNet rating system seems to be counter productive for establishing an equitable level of visibility.<p>

But if you leave the site you will not increase your visibility and you will still be anonymous. Indeed, by leaving you will be actually increasing the level of your anonymity. So what do you have to gain by leaving? I suggest that you reconsider and stay enrolled here. Regards.

Yann: If you look at the PN feedback forum, you will see that you are not alone in this feeling. There are several discussions pointing out that it is difficult to get good comments or feedback. At the end, the conclusion is always the same. Find somebody whose work you like and ask him nicely for critiques (either on a discussion or per email). You will see that a lot of people are very willing to help you and will make good critical comments about your work (prepare for the worst :-o). My only "friends" in PN are people with whom I have exchanged comments, critiques, etc.

Yann, Why this ? You told us that you learned a lot, you enjoyed chatting with others. Your advice was appreciated and welcome.

You really did a great job ( how I hate that term! ) with your Sony.

We all know that the photographer is more important, that creativity and ideas are the key for a good picture and not an expensive camera.

I am sure you have been an inspiration for many.

Salut Yann, je te laisse en esperant de te lire bien-tot.

Rina

Yann, I am happy the comments you gave on my pictures are still in tact, and for sure you had a lot off 'friends', and it is not the equipment that is important, but the eye and the joy you have. And iff you come back with a top quality camera, you still have to look through a lens and see it.

• 4 months later...

Oh, cher Yann Dont leave :( Your Friends will be sad :( me as well :( I have enjoyed your company for so long now, and on Photo Net, almost everybody is an anonimous :( ask other beginners, and you are not a beginner anymore dear Friend!

So stay, cause Me too I am tired of Photo Net, but still hanging around :)

Be well mon cher Ami :)

gros bisous et resiste :) ne te laisse pas faire! Nous sommes Tous une simple goutte d`eau bercee par l`ocean Photo NEt :)

Biliana

Hi, Yann. It was odd to see this thread revived after six months. I'm glad you didn't "go 'way" since I didn't get to correspond with you on line until after your threatened departure.

BTW, you know about the PN warning that the administrators will not honor requests to delete a post. So everyone who cares will know that despite yourself you continued to be a valued contributor.

I just took a sabbatical myself and am back after a month-long trip out of the country.

Mel

Touring your portofolio I found this interesting discussion about equipment and being

taken seriously...I thing that every now and then when you try to achieve something

creative and present it to others you may end up with disapointments but also with

enthousiam and everything in between...I have also seen some part of snobism in

photography sites...but not so in PN so far (but I'm rather new) and that's what I like

here..most people speak about the photos...I've seen sites where peolple spend their time

speaking about the merit of one equipment vs another all the time which is rather

boring...photography is about compo, light and right moment to capture...nothing

else...I've seen wonderful photo with a pocket and very bad ones with profesionnal tool

(1D's, D200, etc...) and the reverse...I think you're doing very good job with what you have

and that is what's important...someday you might motivate yourself to add a better

equipment but it will not be easier to take good pictures...those tools allow for better

controls but are of little help in what's important: compo, light and right moment....so

continue what you are doing because it's interesting....