sigma 18-50 2.8

jayhai

I like mine. It's small & light weight for a normal zoom with a constant f/2.8 aperture. Focus is reasonaly fast. it is acceptably sharp wide open, and very sharp at f/4. It compares very favorably to Canon's 17-40 f/4L at equal apertures and zoom settings, but adds the use of f/2.8 when needed. Some have complained about poor autofocus with it, but mine works fine. It can be had for as little as $400. I think I paid about $415 last spring.

<P>I am using this lens as a walk-around one and if I were to buy it again, I would think twice before doing so. The f/2.8 aperture is attractive, and for low-light photography indispensible. But in bright light it's difficult to use because of flare and chromatic aberration. I would call the latter excessive. When you stop down to f/4 or better to f/5.6, then the lens is good performer and flare and purple fringing is minimal. Another thing is its AF performance, which is quite unsatisfactory for me - if you engage AF three times you are likely to get three different focus distances. Sometimes you can see AF miss even in 20D's rather poor viewfinder. I would not say AF is unusable, but you need to be little bit more careful with it.</P><P>I am most satisified with this light when shooting in available light, when flare and chromatic aberration is not such a problem.</P><P>Please hear also other's opinions - this is just my view.</P>

Overall I like the lens and it is my walk around lens. It uses a 67mm filter which is the same as the Canon 70-200 f4 that I have.

It is slightly warm but this is usually beneficial and I find it is a sharp lens. I haven't noticed problems with colour fringing.

You need to take care with the AF to make sure it focuses correctly. I think it could be better on AF.

I bascially agree with the previous posts. Generally, a nice lens. Small, nicely built, sharp, F2.8. Autofocus is a bit iffy, but manageable. Colours are warm, but this is easy to correct afterwards if it's a problem. Overall, I thinks it's good value (I paid 230GBP) mainly because of the wide max aperture.

Cheers.