Sekonic 558 or Minolta flashmeter v1

simon_platt1

Hi There,

I currently use a Minolta flashmeter V and a Minolta Spotmeter F, I

would like to reduce the amount that I have to carry when trekking

so am thinking of one of the newer combined spot/incident meters.

Any thoughts from those of you who chose one of these meters over

the other ?

I have Minolta's Spotmeter F and I believe you can use it for flash metering. I never use it

for that purpose so I'm not 100 percent positive about that nor do I know how well it

performs in that role.

I also have the Sekonic L-558 Dualmaster. So far, I like it better than the "F" because it has

performed better in colder temperatures, has incident meter capability and dual ISO

settings all of which I find a little more convenient than the F.

The F, however, fits my hand a little better and feels like it weighs a tad less. My main

gripe -- and this may just be my particular meter -- about the F was that the battery

would quit working around 40 degrees F. The first time that happened it almost got a

one-way trip to the bottom of Lake Superior. It was a pain keeping it tucked inside my

coat to keep the batteries warm.

Hope that helps.

Larry

I have a Sekonic L-508 AND a new L-558 as well as the current model of Gossen spotmeter

in the same price range.

I say you can't go wrong with the L-558. Write me offline if you need a place to buy one at a

good discount. (pete@tunbridgevt.com)

• 2 months later...

558 dualmaster is a great meter. The spot function is very nice with a light receiving angle of 1 degree. I have a Hasselblad with a 80mmCFE lense. It has EV markings on the barrel. The meters EV mode allows me to dial in whatever exposure settings I want plus you can average several readings with the memory function. This is nice when shooting a high contrast scene.

Good Luck